TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject: 96 Cougar w/ 3.8

Need: specs on the thermostat housing bolt. Length, thread type, etc, etc.

Thanks

Kenneth

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry to hijack an old thread. I installed my replacement thermostat today, and it is the same temp as the old one (195) except when I tried to screw it in and lock it in place, it did not seem to want to do so. I put a little silicone around the edges and that held it in place while I installed the gasket. Then I held it up against the inlet and screwed the two bolts back in. Is this acceptable or not? I can just as easily take it off and do it again, maybe trying a different brand if necessary. The brand I just installed was a STANT that came up as stock for a 1994 3.8 n/a at Pep Boys. Any advice? Thanks for your help in advance.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
thats fine the way you did it, and the stant doesnt lock the purpose of the locking is to align the vent hole at 3 or 9 o clock which im unsure which models (or brands of stats) use this type of stat or not - my 91 cougar i got a stant one you can always drill the hole which does have some benefits but youre ok like that http://v6.redpony.org/howto/thermostat/tstat.htm thats a good article for the 3.8 install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts