TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which temperature thermostat should I use? I currently do not have one! My car stayed in the blue on my way to work. Where should my needle be on the gauge? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
The stock thermostat is a 195F unit - ideally, you want to get a high flow unit, like the Ford replacement part.

Where should it be? Somewhere below the red ... the indash gauge can be VERY inaccurate. While replacing the thermostat, I'd replace the gauge's sending unit also (there's a TSB out on replacing ALL of them through something like 1995 due to bad crimps in the manufacturing process causing them to read low - or read high - or just jumping all over the place.)

RwP

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If car is stock use the 192°. If you can tune it get a 180°. IMO anything form left side to center is ok think O-R, beyond that need to be concerned R-M beyond that shut it down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. on the Interstate it sits around "m" maybe the "a" at 75 80ish, im thinking I don't have the right front bumper. It does not have the sc on the front. And its a 92 super coupe. :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I have the two wire sensor changed with new wires solder on. How many one wire sensors are there I've changes the one on the passenger side and the one by the stat housing.

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
And I have the two wire sensor changed with new wires solder on. How many one wire sensors are there I've changes the one on the passenger side and the one by the stat housing.
On a 1992 SC? According to the exploded diagrams, there's one 1-wire temp sensor, one 1-wire CELO (temp switch used for the EATC), and a 2-wire for the ECU to use.

RwP

·
̇
3,701 Posts
SuperCoupe Bumper

justbert83 said:
im thinking I don't have the right front bumper. It does not have the sc on the front. And its a 92 super coupe. :confused:
The "SC" embossed front bumpers were for the 89-91 SuperCoupes only..

92-93 SuperCoupes got the same bumper as the 92-93 Thunderbird LX V6/V8 cars..

:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm put a new 190 stat and see what happens, I have a new water pump and rad. Don't know what else could cause the temp to be high on the hwy way ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Every Ford OEM thermostat I've bought for my SC is a 197F. I would not deviate away from stock unless you plan on tuning it.

Your front bumper is fine and if I had to take a wild guess, replacing the thermostat will result in 0 for fixing your problem.

I've owned 5 Supercoupes....... Not once have I ever had to replace the thermostat. If I did it was routine maintenance. Which maybe you're feeling you would like to do anyway, just wanted to give some pointers.

Oh and the gauge cluster has a ANTI SLOSH BOARD which controlls a lot on when it comes to the gauges. They go bad and can cuase the needle to read higher than it really is.

If you really want to do a diagnose you could buy a quarterhorse. This is what I've done and I'm able to see my ACTUAL reading from the ECT. I have a bad ANTI SLOSH BOARD, the gauge will read hot but my computer says I'm right around 200-205F

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
197F? Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen a 197, all the OEM's I've changed are usually 192*F.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm put a new 190 stat and see what happens, I have a new water pump and rad. Don't know what else could cause the temp to be high on the hwy way ?
Is the air dam still on the car ? If it gets knocked off, it's not unusual to run hotter at highway speeds.

David

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Is the air dam still on the car ? If it gets knocked off, it's not unusual to run hotter at highway speeds.

David
I found this out at a track day after selling that piece on TCCOA a while ago :)
Air would come in from the front and spill downwards -- taking the path of least resistance -- instead of going through the radiator.

The solution for me was a piece of corrugated plastic (coroplast) aka the stuff election signs are made from.

-g

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Sc

When I drive my 92' SC on a HPDE..it runs hot...........I turn on the heater full blast.
The chin spoiler does help some at higher speeds, but all my SC's have run alittle hot regardless.

·
Formula 1 Freak
136 Posts
I running a large aluminum radiator and a 180 stat with no problems and I have a 10% pulley
what kid of radiator are you running? I've been looking into upgrading mine, but I haven't found one that will fit in the stock location without moving the IC. If you can point me to a link, I'd appreciate it. I found this...seems weird that the aluminum one is cheaper than the metal one even though the metal one comes with an IC bracket
http://www.radiatorexpress.com/product.asp?part=1990+FORD+THUNDERBIRD+SC+%2D+3%2E8+liter+V6+RADIATOR+%2A%2A+CALL+FOR+AVAIL+%2A%2A+All+Aluminum+SC&part_id=218277&aaia_id=1140387

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
833 Posts
I got mine from buyaradiator.com then look up your car. Mine was 148 + shipping. The OEM replacement for an from auto zone was over 230 I think.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts