TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine temp gauge never gets more than a quarter ways up. Ever. And it's been running rich since I've got it. (Few months ago) and one thing I've noticed is that the fans are always on high. There is always that loud hum coming out of the front whether the car has been running a while or just started. I contacted the previous owner and his said it was a 150 degree thermostat. To me that's a bit low. Factory is like 195 or something. And I figure around 180 is usually the sweet spot. But if the ecu is programmed for 190ish, wouldn't a 150 mess with the system and cause these symptoms? I mainly want the loud hum of the fans to go away but running too cool can causs less the optimal performance.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It's possible that the IRCM went bad, and the previous owner just hot wired the fan. At least that's what it sounds like. 150 really low. I'd swap the stat out with a 180.

·
Super Moderator
9,134 Posts
150 is WAY too low - the engine will not run in closed loop in a factory program until you hit (IIRC) 180. The fans don't come on until the temps hit 210 anyway.

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
If it has a 150° T-Stat in it. Take it out and throw it away!

Stock is 195° and (except for my own car in the heat of summer when I run a 170° Tstat) I wouldn't run anything cooler than a 180° Tstat in a car with a stock motor.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
It's possible that the IRCM went bad, and the previous owner just hot wired the fan. At least that's what it sounds like. 150 really low. I'd swap the stat out with a 180.
Without a tune, a 180 Tstat won't do squat. Stock Tstat, verify fans are working properly, and done.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Agreed. I'm even using my 195 degree, but I have lowered my fan temps too. 208* low, 212* high.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Without a tune, a 180 Tstat won't do squat. Stock Tstat, verify fans are working properly, and done.
i

wasnt there a dude on mod depot back in the day who ran his car without a tstat?

i ran the Lightning tstat for years.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I don't believe there even is such a thing as a 150 deg thermostat, 160 is as low as it goes.

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts