TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well..my dad just got off the phone with the insurance company...the wanna total my car

I just put a new motor into it about 5 months ago..just put a new tranny into it about a year ago I just put $3,000 into my front end tires control arms etc...about a month ago..I have all my receipts for this stuff...hopefuly if I show them this stuff they will not total it...what do you guys think?? any help would be great Im pretty depressed right now.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yea...I saw that coming. it has how many miles on the frame?

Anytime there is damage to the core support you are looking at a loss....sorry to hear it. From what i saw, you would need the following
-hood
-header panel
-2 headlights
-header metal filler/mount
-core support-hood latch
-latch mount
-grill emblem
-finger release for hood

the looks like it....plus all the labor to fix it, which will be about 2.5K alone

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
well sometimes its not soo bad.... my family has a 96 and a 97 LX V-8 birds..... we didnt always have the 97...before that we had a 94 that was hit head on and did quite a bit of damage...obviously the car was totaled.... well we paid 3500 for it, put a new trans and cd player in it.. well ok so maybe 4700 dollars.... the insurance company called my dad back and offered him 3000....after a while of arguing and my dad telling them what we put new into the bird....the guy said...let me call you back and see what i can do...an hour later the guy calls back and said...how does 6250 sound??? i was like holy ****..u can make money off of wreckin a car.... so we ended up getting our 97 for 5000 and spent 1200 in a new cdplayer, speakers, subs, and an amp... (the car is my step brothers who is 17).... so after tax and installation we ended up with a 97 with less miles.... more options, alpine cd player, BA speakers, Solo baric square subs (3) and a kicker amp.... so i would say not too bad for wreckin a car...if your lucky the same will happen for you...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Having just gone through this when my wife got rear-ended, I feel for you. Generally when the cost of repair exceeds 75% of the value (relative term!) of the vehicle they total it. Your receipts will be helpful, however, the value they come up with will be for an average vehicle in average condition and then they will lowball you! If they won't 'play ball' with you insist that you get your receipted parts back and don't back down. At every turn the adjustor will come up with 'I'll have to check with my supervisor... or I'll have to get my supervisor to approve this. Skip all this and ask for the supervisor. Don't get ugly, don't raise your voice, or cuss in any manner. Be polite and it will go a long way to get what you want. Hope this helps. Red and sorry about your ride!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CobraRThunder said:
Yea...I saw that coming. it has how many miles on the frame?

Anytime there is damage to the core support you are looking at a loss....sorry to hear it. From what i saw, you would need the following
-hood
-header panel
-2 headlights
-header metal filler/mount
-core support-hood latch
-latch mount
-grill emblem
-finger release for hood

the looks like it....plus all the labor to fix it, which will be about 2.5K alone

probly 120,000 miles my odometer stoped working....not to long ago...

the motor probly has at most 5,000 miles on it

·
Registered
238 Posts
So they total it,

Do not let the insurance adjuster say it is worth 3k and that is all.

The milage is not significant bc due to the upgrades and maintaince your car is worth closer to 6k +

Tell the adjuster to find another car with no front end problems, new engine, he will not.

Now show the reciepts and say 3K + receipts = what you are willing to take

Now
Take the money and buy a mark 8 with 300 hp

or you can buy your car back for 500 bucks and then take what you want and donate it to a salvage yard.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I told you they would if you told them about it...

Yes, push hard on the value of the car. I did when my 95 got wrecked, I ended up getting the car back to take parts off (engine, almost brand new 5.4L 4r70w, trak-lok 3.27 rear, blah, blah...) PLUS $4500. A lot of people don't push and they get screwed. If you can get $4500 for the car, and it costs 3000 for you to fix... "keep the change". Or you could find a Mark 8 ....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Talk to your insurance company, and try to buy it back. Once it goes to auction, the buyer, (normaly a salvage yard) may start stripping it to part it out right away. I was lucky after my Bird was totaled. I decided to get another one about 5 months later, traked my old car down, and was able to still get most of the good stuff off of it.

Oh, and most of that stuff you installed prior to the crash are considered "maintance". Most of the time, (as they told me) the only things that may add slight value are, wheels, superchargers, things of "considerable value".

So good luck!

·
Registered
814 Posts
You are the original owner have first right to it. They can't do any thing with it until you settle with them. Most policies have a buyback percentage, usually not over 20% of the claim settle amount. he longer you drag it ouut the more willing they will be to settle. They also have time limits on claims, where you do not have to settle. But He's got some super on his arse, wanting to put it to bed. Watch how agreable they get. LOL A not often used ploy.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay...me and my dad just went though all the paperwork and receipts we could find for about the last year...and we added it up and it came out to over $10,000+ not inculding my stero system..right now my dad is faxing them over all the receipts and paperwork. Ill let yall know what happens.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm very interested in how this turns out. I deal with insurance companies all day long, everyday, and my experience is that they generally do not like paying claims.

The receipts for new parts on the car tell the insurance adjuster that he can expect to get more for the car from the salvage people than straight book value. If he gets more money, he can just pass some of that on to you. Most salvage yards are interested in OEM parts more than aftermarket stuff, so a lot of times you will not get good value on appearance or high performance parts, but that can vary depending on the salvage yard.

There is something besides receipts for new parts, that factors into what the insurance company offers for your car.. that is the premiums you have been paying. You are paying your premiums based on the book value of your car. When I am done with my latest round of mods I will have invested something over $20k in parts. That plus the $10k or so already in her makes her worth $30k, right??? I am not paying premiums for a $30k automobile, so I am under no illusion that if my car is totaled or stolen that the insurance will fork over $30K or anything like that, even though I have the receipts to prove the value. If I want $30k worth of insurance, I have to pay premiums for that.

Obviously my example is much exaggerated, but my point is that folks should not expect to get their money back for new parts and mods, just because they can prove that the parts and mods were installed. Certainly not dollar for dollar.

Also, be careful about delaying settlement to put pressure on the adjuster to give you more money. While it is true that they want closed files, they are not in any rush to give money away. If the car is being stored somewhere it is likely that daily storage charges are accruing, and as long as they are responsible for those storage charges there is a certain urgency to settle. However, if the insurance company makes a good faith offer of what a reasonable person would believe to be the value of your vehicle, and you refuse to settle the claim, you may be responsible for the storage charges from that point until you finally accept what they have offerred. At some point they will offer as much as you're gonna get, and the storage fees will just come out of your pocket... So while negotiating, be sure to determine who is going to be responsible for any storage charge...

I've heard stories of some real benevolent adjusters and folks that are pretty satisfied with the result, but I've also heard a lot of horror stories. The worst is when the you owe more than the car is worth and it is totaled. The insurance money goes to the bank, you still owe the bank money and you don't have a car anymore... That is sad...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to my dads help I did it! I faxed them over all my receipts and they are gonna cut me a check :) its about $500 less than my orignal estimate but its better than them totaling it and me getting nothing basicaly.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
josh i have those cowl panels if your interested. i had picked up the wrong ones froma junk yard. they arent cracked or nothing.just need a new coat of black paint.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am impressed they did not pressure you into a salvage title. That is with aftermarket body parts, you can request factory parts and increase the workorder price by 20%.

I guess it comes out the same they really do not care if they keep your car and pay 3500 or you keep it and they pay 3000.

I would still consider the mark 8 scrap the bird and say hello 300 HP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Speaking of Salvage Titles, considering my new T-bird has one, how much crap did I just get myself into, as far as the registration and insurance, and value stuff is considered?

It has a "flood title." I thought it was just the engine that was affected, but now it looks as though some more of the car was flooded too. Surprisingly, (fingers crossed) there isn't much else wrong with it. It only has 30,000 miles on it. Everything under the hood, and the hood for that matter are being replaced. The entire "pumpkin" and exhaust system are being using from my old car. Only the tranny remains, and thats being treated to a shift-kit. I don't know that water would find its way there anyway.

Its a pain to register it, I know that, but how else may it effect things?

·
Registered
238 Posts
It has no resale value. You have to pay someone to take it or donate it to a good cause.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dang, if this thing ever gets in an accident, i'm s**t out of luck then? I wish i would have know that before i got it then. Oh well, as long as the engine would be fine, i can always start over. And thats all the fun anyway, right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts