TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a DOHC from a 93 mark 8 for $200. The guy says it over heats and needs head gaskets.
What kinds of things would you check, or look for prior to buying or using such a motor?
Can a compression be performed reliably on a motor thats on a stand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
767 Posts
im pretty sure some dohc engines had problems with getting air pockets around the water pump and it could cause it to overheat,and if you have access to an air compressor do a cylinder leakdown test,its like compression but you can figure out where you are losing compression from.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
My opinion..........unless you plan on tearing it completely down is to just call greenleaf and get a running one that will come with a 6 month warantee. They have a 94 out there for $875 shipped.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
yea i had some chances to get some pi motors along with some pi heads but all in all i wanted VERY VERY low miles and wanted something with a warranty. If you dont want any of those attributes then go for the junk motor, otherwise shop greanleafauto.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.