TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my old bird is about to die. The transmission pops into neutral at about 45-50 and sometimes will just rev up real high before it shifts into second. Its a 1995 4.6. Could anyone ball park the rebuild cost on this transmission? Thanks

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
hit up one of the trans builders on this site and get a good trans for the same price as a rebuilt hack job locally.

Dirtydog did my trans other use darrin

For what people pay getting a good trans before you original one blows up is going to cost you the least. Also your stock torque converter is likely to be a pile of junk too so get another one while its apart I highly suggest it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
its better buying one already rebuilt or if you dont mind with very little effort you could put in a newr more reliable trans... BTW 1500-2200 sounds right for rebuilding.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I been looking into a Silverfox Trans. I heard their lifetime warranty, but I'm not sure.

I'd guess you'll be out 2200 for a good tranny and TC + Labor

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think ill need a TC being it was replaced with last rebuild which was about....60,000 miles ago

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
I don't think ill need a TC being it was replaced with last rebuild which was about....60,000 miles ago
Yea, but what was it replaced with? And given the current state of your transmission you don't know what crap may have been pumped or floated into that TC. Bite the bullet and buy a good TC while you've got the transmision out of the car. It's better to start out fresh all the way around from the TC to the transmission. Oh, and make sure to fill it with fresh Mercon V. You may or may not know this but Mercon V is the preferred fluid not Dexron III.

You will also want to add an auxillary transmission cooler.

·
Registered
110 Posts
$1500 is an ok price. I've been through 3 trans rebuilds of the 4R70W over the years and then was going to do a 6 speed conversion till the funds ran out. There are kevlar kits out there. Do it right the first time, trust me, especially if there is HP involved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
As long as it doesn't go over 1500 Ill be okay. that's all the cash i got for this hahaha. I do have an auxillary transmission cooler and had nothing but Mercon V since the rebuild. Just money is tight right now. Luckily this is my girl friends car now so she has to catch the bus for a while not me!

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
be sure to flush the cooler and cooling lines before installing the new trans. And I agree with TM on this one... Get a TC with it. You have NO idea what floated through it and contaminated it... save yourself the future issues and buy a TC at the same time, A Remanned Marauder isn't TOO much and it's a slight performance boost.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think my old bird is about to die. The transmission pops into neutral at about 45-50 and sometimes will just rev up real high before it shifts into second. Its a 1995 4.6. Could anyone ball park the rebuild cost on this transmission? Thanks
Change the MLPS just to be sure. May be worth a shot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys, I called a local place and im droping it off friday. Im hoping for it to be under 1500

1 - 12 of 12 Posts