TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was driving to the city today and right out of town was this T-Bird, its a 1987 the body is ok, some surface rust but nothing right through, i stopped and talked to the guy selling it, he bought it 9 years ago, its been his daughters and his sons, but its only got 140k on it and its a 3.8.

first question does it take much to drop a 5.0 in this? cause i have a friend that has one sitting around.

other thing is i always wanted to try messing around sanding a painting a car and this would be a fun project, hes asking 500 dollars for it but would probally take 300. only two pics i took were in the dark and they didn't come out good. but just wondering if this would be a waste of time or not.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
how come?
do you really want a 20 year old car for a project? you cant even decide on a project for your current one....dont waste your money.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
if its only surface rust... it looks like a good project. sell the 3.8 in it for partial fundage..... and put that fiveoh.... make it carbed. quick, cheap project.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
obucina... would YOU take, say.... a 66 vette on as a project? or a plymouth gtx.... 67 GTO? maybe, say '69 stang fastback? even as a shell of a car... i would take them in a heartbeat.... those are ALL over 20 years old.... if he has the time, money, patience... then by all means he should be able to have a project car and keep the tbird as a DD

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you really want a 20 year old car for a project? you cant even decide on a project for your current one....dont waste your money.
yeah lol your probally right, i just though it would be something fun i could do to try for a first project with out having to worry about messing anything up that way i woudn't be out much.

sinhumane actually my current bird isn't my DD either, lol

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
if you can get it for 300, get it... it needs some tlc, and will prolly see the junkyard if you dont rescue it.

"for only 300 dollars, your contribution will go towards keeping poor cars like these properly maintaned, and full of gas. too long they have lived in ghettos and urban wastelands, abused by ill-knowledged owners...."

HAHA.. kinda like those 'feed the children commercials?'

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with obucna on this one. One project at a time.
yeah, i really havn't started anything with the 95 its still totally stock and in awsome shape so if i get this and start it, it will only be on project. but im going to think about it a bit over the weekend.

can a 5.0 go into that or is it a bunch of crap you have to switch over?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i actually joined that a bit ago and posted the samething lol im kinda scared to start messing with my car too much cause i don't wanna mess it up this route i really can't lol

body is the biggest thing im worried about and if its still forsale on monday im going to go over there with a guy that works at a body shop i know well and have him give me his opinon on how bad it is. that will give me a better idea.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Waste of money?

No.

This is why I get angry at the Mustang message forums. They think the
Cougar/Thunderbird isn't worth anything, therefore the remaining examples should all be sent to the crusher. They are "old lady cars."
I'm so freaking sick of this mentality.

Fordraceing:
You could easily swap a 5.0 into that car. If you choose to go with a SEFI 5.0 it would still be an easy swap, as long as you know the basics of wiring and other Fox body basics. That car has a lot of potential. Based on the pictures, it has the 8-hole alloys, cornering lamps, and illuminated entry.
That makes it a good candidate in my book. It wouldn't take much to swap in a Turbo Coupe interior and some suspension goodies.
I'm surprised it has a 3.8 based on its options, but you should swap to a V8 none-the-less. Just so you know, you may have a hard time selling the 3.8. It may be best to just junk it and find a good HO 5.0 for a swap.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Waste of money?

No.

This is why I get angry at the Mustang message forums. They think the
Cougar/Thunderbird isn't worth anything, therefore the remaining examples should all be sent to the crusher. They are "old lady cars."
I'm so freaking sick of this mentality.
blah blah blah. Waste of money as in having to title and tag the car, add it to insurance, have another car to deal with. Cool, lets do a 5.0 swap, awesome, what if it need a brake job, needs brake lines, what about the trans? it goes, you gotta replace that also. So, you can have another car to deal with, whats gonna happen in a few years when life moves on? gonna be stuck with multiple cars, both of which you wont be able to get a decent cash return on or even have luck selling them except for some 16 year old kid who sees a v8 badge and thinks its the fastest thing on the street.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually i woudn't even title it or tag it or put insurance on it, everything else you mentioned im sure your right though.

it would be awsome to put a 5.0 in it paint it make it nice again but i guess i could put that money into my current car and would be better off.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
actually i woudn't even title it or tag it or put insurance on it, everything else you mentioned im sure your right though.

it would be awsome to put a 5.0 in it paint it make it nice again but i guess i could put that money into my current car and would be better off.
why would you purchase a vehicle without filing the proper legal documents for proof of ownership?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
just slap a non ighway title on it, make sure it can pass inspection (ya know, cats in place, no crap job wiring, seatbelts,) i.e. not a deathtrap, pay the fifty bucks or so to get a real title on it, and get her tagged and insured when you're done. i was actually looking over a friend of mine's 87 cougar. theres a junkyard here with a completely intact TC front end that would look stellar on a cougar. always had a soft spot for teh fox cougars. i would get if in exchange for a computer that only cost me a couple hundred to begin with. needs a new oil pan, a bit of paint and rear brakes done.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Project

The fox body cars are getting hard to find in nice shape.

A 5.0 or even a 4.6 swap? Easy now days and lots of parts, etc.

Would do the same, park it in the garage until it's ready to go.

You can modify it and upgrade what you feel you want to, brakes, suspension, etc.

A 20 year old car? SO?.....I've been rebuilding and driving many old cars and trucks since 1980.

They stand out in traffic, look good and you can make them very reliable.

Go for it, don't let someone with no ambition stop you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts