TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant afford the gas right now.Im supposed to be starting a new job in Tacoma (about 1 hour away from my house,including traffic and everything) and the gas mileage is killing me. I drove 264 miles on a full tank of gas, i filled up friday and as of today my "low fuel" light is on. In those 264 miles ive never shifted above 2000 RPM's. I was VERY VERY easy on the throttle and i kept it at 65 on the freeways. Im looking at getting a......wait for it....wait for it..........

Honda Civic SI...i know i know, but those little SI's are actually pretty nice, i drove my friends SI, with the 5-speed and i enjoyed it. Although i am going to miss the way the bird feel's. It was my first car, even though its not in the best shape, i took care of it the best i could.

input is appreciated.

·
Registered
514 Posts
wow I think there is something going on with the motor cause you should get way better mileage than that....

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
That doesn't sound right. You should get better mileage. I've got a .030 over 5.0l with some go fast goodies and get 300 miles to a tank. My Dakota gets around 350 if I'm easy on it. Maybe you need a tune up or something. Keep the bird and buy the Honda. I would. I've got 3 cars. I'm not gonna let any of them go. When one is paid off, we are gonna buy a Dodge Challenger.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Time for some maintance on your Bird.You should be getting another 100 miles out of that tank.

Change fuel filter,airfilter,Plugs,Wires,Add fuel additives,seafoam the motor,ect ect...

·
Registered
381 Posts
i know i have a 3.8, but i can get anywhere from 430 miles to 490 miles on a tank of gas. if you like the bird, maybe look for a 3.8 bird, and see how that goes? there's still some thing i need to do to mine to get better mileage.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time for some maintance on your Bird.You should be getting another 100 miles out of that tank.

Change fuel filter,airfilter,Plugs,Wires,Add fuel additives,seafoam the motor,ect ect...
ive done everything you mentioned with no change. Ive checked for vaccum leaks,i replaced the pcv valve,fuelfilter,plugs,wires,oil and filter,seafoamed the hell out of the motor...thats about all i can think of. The only thing i havent done is replace the o2's,cats,and change the trans fluid.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Maybe clogging cats?Something isn't right if thats all you're getting per tank.It is highway miles right?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, for the most part its highway. I was in the country where theres no cops so you can do 65 on the empty roads. I drove about 10 miles in the city

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
How many miles are on the car?

·
Banned
21 Posts
you need to get an accurate idea of what your mpg is, not how far you get on a "full tank".

How many gallons did it take to refill the tank?

do this:

fill tank.

note mileage.

drive.

fill tank again and note how many gallons it took to refill it.

note milage.

now divide your distance traveled by the # of gallons it took to refill the tank and that's your average mpg.

not sure what 04 PI's should get but 'm going to guess you averaged about 17 mpg. (i'm assuming it took 15.5 gal to refill the 18 gal tank, that's about where your at with the low fuel light on)

·
Registered
381 Posts
i would say dont sell it, get it looked at. i keep thinking of selling mine, and keeping it, but you'll be sorry later. I know i will be the day i sell my car.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
not sure what 04 PI's should get but 'm going to guess you averaged about 17 mpg.

Somewhere around 17-19 city and 22-25 with a 3500 stall and some spirited driving here and there.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Somewhere around 17-19 city and 22-25 with a 3500 stall and some spirited driving here and there.
oops, not sure why i thought he had the 04 PI? must of glanced at your info instead.

my driving is mostly city with some cruising at 55-60. while trying to go light on the peddle and keep the rpm's below 2000 i get, at best, 17~18 mpg. that's with the stock 4.6 sohc drivetrain and 3.27 rear.

however my last tank was only 14.3 mpg, lol

edit: most gas here is 10% ethanol and i fill up with 87 octane.

·
Registered
381 Posts
all you guys with v8's. i wish i had a v8. with spirited driving in the city, i get average 17-18. if i take it easy, i can probably push 20-21. I get 31 highway, and whenever i take the highway, i always red line it up to speed. Also when i pass a car, peddle go's to the floor.

·
Banned
21 Posts
i wouldn't ever trade my 4.6 for a 3.8 because the mileage increase isn't worth it at all. i've owned both. theres no comparison, reliability and performance is better with the 4.6. i'm quite pleased with the 14-18 city, 27-28 highway it does get, i'm realistic about that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many miles are on the car?
163,812 on the car. Stock everything with 3.08 open end.

And Tajima-Ushi, it took 16.89 gallons to fill the tank up i wrote it down on the receipt. I only have $60 to put in the tank and that isnt going to fill it up.

next fill up i will record how many gallons it took to fill up the tank

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
i wouldn't ever trade my 4.6 for a 3.8 because the mileage increase isn't worth it at all. i've owned both. theres no comparison, reliability and performance is better with the 4.6. i'm quite pleased with the 14-18 city, 27-28 highway it does get, i'm realistic about that.

I too have owned both.Fuel mileage difference isn't noticable really.Maybe on the highway a bit but still it isn't that far off.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i would trade for the v8 any day. keep the car!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
i would trade for the v8 any day. keep the car!
So trade with the OP.I am sure he would like a 28-30 mpg highway car.

·
Registered
381 Posts
because i'm in saskatoon and far away from all you guys. And i suggest to this guy to seafoam again. I did it a few times.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts