TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup fellas, i have a 95 cougar XR7...the odometer broke at 77000 miles buts gotta be well over 130000...i want to start drag racing the car full time..any suggestions on a engine swap? ive heard 99-04 mustang GT is the way to go...wat do u fellas think

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Id go with the explorer 4.6 if you were going 2 valve. I have it...good upgrade for price, plus it doesnt have the mustang name attached to it. If going 4v I would get a good used mark engine.
-Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea just test and tune...id like to run 13's...i spoke with Bill of supercoupe performance and he guided me towards the mustang engine he also had some crate engines that are capable of 500+ horses but those are pretty pricey

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
If all you want to do is drag race I would just do an old fashioned 302/351 carbed engine swap. While the modern engines are great for reliability, drivability, etc., the amount of time and money to get them to be optimal for drag racing vs. "ole reliable" just doesn’t justify the price.

Think of it this way: You make a change to your intake…. With a fuel injected car you’ll need to tweek your tune (or most likely pay someone to make the change for you), whereas with a carbed setup you can do it yourself. You want to change your timing… again, it is off to the tuner to have it changed, whereas with a distributor, it is simple. You want to adjust your fuel curve because you changed gears.... back to the tuner vs. a jet change in a carb.

But again, that is just my opinion for a drag strip only car. I'm not a fan of carbed engines, but for drag racing, I think they are the best and cheapest way to make power where you need it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i like that opinion....im not a mechanic...yet i start at lincoln tech on the 13th of july but...with a carbed engine swap seems pretty difficult maybe having to change the tranny too

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome to the forums, you will find a wealth of knowledge here.
I have a 2000 Mustang 4.6 swapped in. I liked the Mustang motor over the Explorer because the Stanger is an iron block vs aluminum with the Exploder. I wanted iron because I am now supercharged and felt that the iron block would hold up better if I decided to mod more and build higher boost pressures.
The motor swap in and of it self was relatively simple, the 97 computer runs the 2000 engine just fine, I don't know about the 95 computer running a newer engine, I think that it should.
I went a little deeper in my swap and followed Guitar Maestro's guide to coil on plug install and also went with a larger MAF that needed tuning. Lonnie from Blue Oval chips tuned it for me over the phone and e-mail, I already had a tuning device just needed the tune.
Good luck with your swap.
Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dude...i think i talked to you on the phone...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh and to answer the money question...haha man i never have money cuz i spend it as soon as i get it

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
then save your pennies and in the meantime search this entire forum for engine swaps, head swaps, etc, etc......its all been discussed before.....also in the general tech forum.......when you have about $2000, then you can talk about an engine swap

if you find any threads that perhaps you need more info on or clarification, feel free to post those links here or reply to them directly

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh yea? ight then...wats ur 1/4 mile time there buddy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
boooo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
man with the miles ive put on that motor...maybe a rebuilt stock motor is the way to go...maybe then ill be able to run with mr.guitar hero up there

1 - 20 of 29 Posts