1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
414 Posts
Weakpoints is they are archaic in design. Full frame, recirculating ball steering box and as expected for a big car, poor mileage.

Strong points. Tough as nails. It may be lacking the latest in crash technology but I'd rather be in a Crown Vic in any head on collision against another car.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
well my mother has a 98 crown vic as well and prepare to have long highway gears. i swear first gear feels like it shifts at 55mph lol. It wont be as comfy as a tbird seeing how they have front bench seats so nothing really holds you in excect for some small arm rests. As far as steering its also a lil looser compared to my tbird. Like i said tho the gearbox is very wide ratio wise so if this is gonna be a highway/freeway car then go for it. If its gonna be a small city car then yes gas mileage wont be as high as you wanted it but "fair". Also thier gas tanks hold 19+ gallons iirc.

Heres what kelly blue book thinks the value of a 98 w/ 60k miles on it should cost *US dollars*:
-Excellent
$4,905

-Good
$4,505

-Fair
$3,975

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Well the 98 was a redesign year, so handling and front brakes were improved. You also don't have the air suspension problems of the Lincoln. You will find them with less little problem areas than the Tbird. Not quite as good of handling stock for stock. About the same gas mileage as a V8 Bird. Lots of trunk space and a smooth ride. Nice for any rear passengers. Go for it if it suits your fancy.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. Still thinking about it. One thing that worries me slightly is that the Crown Vic is about a foot longer that the T-Bird, and seeing as though all our car parks are designed for rice burning cinqychenko cars I think I may have trouble parking it in the town centres (not that I do a lot of town driving). Most of the time I'm on the highway however, so the fuel shouldn't be vastly different to what I'm used to. Hmmmmm..........

Do they suffer from the shudder problems like the T-Birds??

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have both, I have two MN12s and a 2000 Grand Marquis.

I have the Grand Marquis for vacations and for the daily grind taking the kids to school and all the functions having kids involves.

Issues can be similar to the later Thunderbirds, plastic intake that can split, the tranny is improved over what the thunderbirds have but still have things like TC shudder as a possibility (but over your 94 thunderbird it has a new TC with new friction material and should have Mercon V already and since factory). 98 was a redesign year, adding the watts linkage, bigger front brakes, a new look, COPs instead of coil packs, fail safe cooling. 2.73 gearing is a bummer, but the change to 3.27 would make the difference.

Lots of what the other person listed as bad is really not that bad. Having a steering box instead of rack and pinion and a full frame are not all that bad.

I miss the Grand Marquis being my daily driver. It is comfy but not sporty feeling, huge trunk if you need it, and built to take abuse and crappy roads. I would probably still have it if I didn't have kids, I like the large car and I am willing to take the difference in gas mileage to have a large car that is safe and roomy with enough trunk space for a weeks vacation for 4 people (I did add airbags to the rear to get rid of the sagging back when it is full).

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have both, I have two MN12s and a 2000 Grand Marquis.
Thanks Bangster, its interesting to hear the opinion of someone who owns both types of car.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I personally think 99 is the best year, then 2001 (got PI heads), 2003 went to a new front frame and rack and pinion steering and different rear shock placement. 98 is good, 99 has slightly better programming, 2000 has bad programming due to 99 being too agressive and some having issues with pinging (another good for some, bad for others thing).

While my 2000 Grand Marquis is slightly different than that listed 98 (mine didn't have a rear swaybar, I have aluminum wheels and remote entry, etc) I have added the CVPI shocks and it handles okay. I might be tough to park it, it barely fits in spots designated compact. It is 14 inches longer, 8 inches wider, 4 inches taller than my Cougar. 6 foot wider turning radius (34 ft for the Cougar, 40 feet for the Grand Marquis), 200 to 300 pounds heavier. The interior specs are nice:
Code:
                        Crown Vic      Thunderbird
Front Head Room:         39.4 in.        38.1 in. 
Front Shoulder Room:   60.1 in.        59.1 in. 
Rear Shoulder Room:    60.3 in.        59.1 in.
Front Leg Room:           42.5 in.        42.5 in.
Front Hip Room:            58.0 in.       56.6 in. 
Rear Head Room:         38.1 in.        37.6 in. 
Rear Hip Room:            59.0 in.        56.6 in. 
Rear Leg Room:           38.4 in.        36.6 in. 
Luggage Capacity:    20.6 cu. ft     14.7 cu. ft.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Crown Vic Thunderbird
Front Head Room: 39.4 in. 38.1 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 60.1 in. 59.1 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 60.3 in. 59.1 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.5 in. 42.5 in.
Front Hip Room: 58.0 in. 56.6 in.
Rear Head Room: 38.1 in. 37.6 in.
Rear Hip Room: 59.0 in. 56.6 in.
Rear Leg Room: 38.4 in. 36.6 in.
Luggage Capacity: 20.6 cu. ft 14.7 cu. ft.
??
I own a Grand marquis and it feels larger than just an inch or two , my only complaint , the electric windows break too often , and that appears to be a problem with all models ,

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Thanks for reminding me to lube up the regulator for the drivers front window, I haven't had one fail but you need to keep up with them or they can.

The nearly two inches added to the rear legroom is the biggest difference. That and the easier access to the rear seats because of the doors, and all the doors being half as long help in tight parking spots.

The difference between a Fox Thunderbird and an MN12 Thunderbird is way more different than between the MN12 Thunderbird and the Crown Vic.

·
Super Moderator
7,976 Posts
I have a 94 crown vic that currently has almost 270K miles on it and is still running strong. My mom had a 98 GM and now has an 02 GM, my one aunt has an 06GM, my other aunt has an 02 GM, my uncle has a 00 CV, my grandmother has an 06 town car and before that she had a 99 towncar. In all those cars the only major problem was my aunt had a rear end start making noise at about 90K miles, and my mom's 02 had an issue with the torque converter causing a hard 2-3 shift. The 4.6 has the same problems as in the birds (plastic intake can crack, and eventually valve seals wear out) but overall very reliable. As far as gas mileage goes, for some reason the newer body style (98+) doesn't do as good as the older one (92-97). All the 98+ cars in my family get between 22 and 24mpg highway. My 94 gets 28mpg on the highway.

Mike

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Vicki

I had a 93' Vicki LX..................was a rock solid and dependable car.

I miss it now, sold it to a buddy from work.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I hate the suspension on the mom's 2000 GM...you feel seasick on a long ride. I thought the shocks were trashed, but they are OEM replacements less than 10K ago.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The 2003 Crown Vics and newer have a completely redesigned front suspension, which includes a new aluminum k-member, plus rack and pinion steering.

The sport model has comfortable seats, but not as comfortable as my 95 T-Bird's.

Being that mine is the sport model, it drives likes it's on rails, and handles well in corners. The Air Ride suspension is an added bonus.

Also, parts are pretty cheap for these cars, as they have made tons of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts