Ok now for the big questions

do i need to buy the rear diff for it?
and how hard do u think it real is?

Well thanks for all ur help

:)

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
I have seen it done and wasnt to impressed with the results, I think in my mind (its just me dont get all up tight) You would have better handling and a lot less weight with something like a stroked small block or just a 5.0 or a 5.8 would be sweet plus easyer and cheaper to mod the 5.0 liter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will it be easy to do? and does anyone know who put a 460 in there tbird? and what engine mounts do i need to get i want to get the solid ones because my 3.8l broke them when i power braked it. But o well. So does anyone have any idea on how hard this will be and will it cost alot of money. And one last thing what changes would i have to make to my bird for the engine to fit? Will i have to buy a new hood?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
seen it done, not impressed. there was one at nationals this year, running really slow times (mid 16's). i can get some contact info for you if you really want, but i dont think its worth it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
If you get a 460 get a PRE 73' one, Better heads, Better rods, and High compression (10:1) the 73+ had 8.0-8.5:1 weak rods and marginal heads. The 460 in the 35th anniversary car was just a quick junkyard drop in and he had just got it running before that show, with a performance rebuild and such it should go ALOT better.
IMHO I would build a Aluminum Head 351W stroked to 393 CID if your looking for more cubes. Easier to swap in and it will bolt up to your current tranny.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so should get the 73 on down because there better correct? And does anyone dis agree. This is what i want it to do i want my car to have alot of horse's but easy to install i thought about the 4.2 nope not enough horses thought about the 4.8 well still don't think its enought horses. All i won't is an engine that can haul a** when i floor it but is semi cheap. any ideas? o yea and is easy to install well don't have to be but whatever it takes for it to happen.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
A 460 WOULD NOT BE AN EASY INSTALL

A 302 WOULD BE A SEMI-EASY INSTALL

A 351 WOULD BE A SEMI-EASY INSTALL

Basically you're not gonna have an easy, fun, time any way you do it. If you want your 460 by all means get a pre '73 460 or else a newer on from an F-Series pickup. I believe they made them up 'til 1996. Horsepower sells engines, torque wins races. A modded small block will run circles around the 460, outhandle it, be WAYY easier to do and suck alot less gas. Also there are engine mounts for a 5.0L/5.8L that will go into your MN12 since there were 302's in them from '91-'93. Do what you want though just don't say nobody warned you.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
393 is VERY cheap to build, Buy a 393 Stroker crank for 350$, use the Stock 351W rods with cheaper 302 pistons and you have a 393 stroker with little cash involved.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Rancher was dead on with the pre-'73 comment. Look for 460 heads with the "D0VE" casting... they are the best compression, best flowing production ones. Actually, you'll probably be rebuilding any motor you come across, so even if you get a later model block, find the D0VE (that's Dee-Zero-Vee-Eee) heads and get performance internals... THEN it'll be worth all the extra weight (sooo heavy.)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I learned the hard way on the Pre 73' stuff. I've got a 73' out of a thunderbird that I built for a mud truck. I've got the D3VE heads which have medium size valves and big closed chambers (need a slightly domed piston to get 10:1 compression) Also ANY stock 460 heads really need a portjob on the exhaust ports.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually 1971 was the transition year for smog engines. 71 was the year of lowered compression and altered cam timings. I had both a 69 429 and a 71 429 and the performance hit was signifcant.

·
Registered
154 Posts
70 model 460

My dad had a 460 in his mustang that he use to run the 1/4 with and minimal street use he used a 70 model engine with alot of mods the only reason for these heads they came with studs guideplates had better flow than any other 460 heads but they are expensive now and hard to come by but my dad still has his heads but sorry no sale on those but if i was you i would go with the 393 like rancher said thats what i plan on upgrading to i have the 351 in my car and trust me you can get plenty of power out of a small block but im going to buy hbeams with my crank and probably go with a mild popup or domed piston when i go with a 393:D which youll end up spending way to much money just putting the damn 460 in the car then you still need to make it go fast so id go with the 351 or a 302 if i were you

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
The 460 swapped car at the nats had a motor dropped in from an E350 (or possibly an ambulance?). It was NOT tuned for performance at all. The guy who did it put the motor in stock to see if it would fit. If it did, (and it definitely did) he was then going to pull it out and turn it into a real monster. With the torque you could generate with a 460, you could stick with 3:27s or 3:08s for mileage and still get some killer times out of it. If you've never played in a big block car, you just don't know what you're missin.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Big Block

Personally ive drove a couple of cars with big blocks in them that were HIGHLY modified my dads mustang 91LX 460, my uncles 73 mustang blown 429scj (which scared the **** out of me), and my dads old 78 trans am w/ a 454 which ran low 11s i dont know what the other two cars ran but the 73 was definately the fastest and i refuse to drive that car ever again. Sorry to get off subject:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts