TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any oil filter that is a hair thinner than an 820S so you can pull
it out of the &*$%#>" hole in the tbirds and cougars w/a 4.6?
looking for a little more capacity too but not a remote setup.
id rather drown myself in oil.
thanks--irv

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It's not really that hard to pull the stock filter out. I don't even get one drop off oil on the K member. I take a piece of 3-4" by say 15" cardboard and v channel it. Jamm it up under the filter base and route it down to a pan. Crack the filter off and let it hand on the threads and drain. Then twist push up. Moved the line aside and pull down.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,270 Posts
There is a thinner filter.
But at the moment the cougar is at the trans. shop.
So no part number today.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
any oil filter that is a hair thinner than an 820S so you can pull
it out of the &*$%#>" hole in the tbirds and cougars w/a 4.6?
looking for a little more capacity too but not a remote setup.
id rather drown myself in oil.
thanks--irv
You should try it with the Sport suspension or an SC swaybar. :D It's even more fun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
AC delco oil filters are about 1/2" shorter in length compared to motorcraft...alot easier to remove & install (even on the 97 Sport)....and they are very good quality filters!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what is the difference between the original 820 and the
820S filters?

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Just get an FL500S, it's way smaller. OEM on Coyotes, same threads and gasket diameter as the FL820S.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, I hate to be digging up an old thread, but I'm having a problem finding the correct oil filter for my 94 Cougar 4.6. Going by what the guide at Walmart says, it calls for a PH2 Fram filter. However, looking at it, it appears to be too large of diameter and doesn't look like it will fit around, under, and through the power steering lines and everything else in there. Will the PH3600 for the 3.8 work instead ? The filter that's on it now looks to be a smaller diameter than the one it calls for. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks, and Blessings !!!

·
Administrator
8,218 Posts
Walmart sells Motorcraft filters, at least the one by me does. Fram filters suck, just get one of the Motorcraft ones mentioned here.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
No, the filter for a 3.8 is different from the one for a 4.6. You need a motorcraft fl820s, or 500s. The 820s is the correct filter, and the 500s is a smaller version, but will still work and is easier to get in and out. Also do not under any circumstances put that garbage Fram filter in there. Just search Fram oil filter on YouTube and you will find 100 videos of people cutting them apart to show just how shitty they are. The oil filter is the first line of defense for your engine, it is not the place to cheap out and save a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Less and less Walmarts are carrying the Motorcraft filters around me. I took a chance and drove a ways out to a remote Walmart that ended up having them, so I bought six! Can't beat $3.97 each, I should have bought the store out, but things like that have a way of backfiring on me.

Al

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Less and less Walmarts are carrying the Motorcraft filters around me. I took a chance and drove a ways out to a remote Walmart that ended up having them, so I bought six! Can't beat $3.97 each, I should have bought the store out, but things like that have a way of backfiring on me.

Al
If you don't mind storing them, you can get a case of 12 from rockauto for $42 shipped, works out to like $3.50 each.

Reactions: RalphP

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
I'm with MadMikeyL - my Dakota and my Cougar can both use the same filter if I pick wisely, so I buy FL300As in the dozen for both.

(I'd rather go FL-1A but the FL-1A hits the frame on the Dakota and is even harder to snake out on the 1991 ... so, the FL300A which is basically a short FL-1A and I"m golden.)

RwP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts