TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Working third shift

Tomorrow I have an interview with a company for a full time third shift job (11pm-7:15am) doing cleaning and small repairs on vacuum atomization furnaces. I have never worked over night like that before. (Ive always been a 1st and 2nd shift kinda guy) Wondering if anyone who has worked third shift before can give me some pointers? (when to eat? when to sleep? When to exercise? etc.)

·
Super Moderator
5,004 Posts
Basically, take the times you would have done it for 1st shift and do it either 8 hours earlier, or 16 hours later.

So, breakfast around 10 PM, dinner around 10 AM, sleep from 2 PM to 10 PM if possible, etc.

Try not to change your daily schedule for weekends if at all possible.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
I worked a similar shift for a while years ago, and I would actually suggest something very different. First off, I found sleeping 8 hours during the day to be very difficult. Light and noises find their way into your room and will disturb you. When you get home from working all night the first thing you will want to do is crash, so if you do sleep 8 hours then, you'll be getting up around 3:30, and then come 3am you'll be very tired. What I would suggest, which worked well for me, is actually break up your sleep to 3-4 hours right after you get home, and 3-4 hours shortly before you go to work. So if you get home at 7:30, go right to sleep until about 10:30-11am. Wake up around 11, get showered and dressed, then you have about 6 hours in the middle of the day to do whatever. Around 6pm go back to sleep, wake up around 9:30-10, throw clothes back on, and go to work. Try to eat 2 meals toward the middle of your waking periods, so around 2pm and 2am, and then just light snacks if you need them in between cause you don't want to eat a whole bunch right before going to sleep. Doing it that way worked great for me because I got enough sleep, I had plenty of free time during the day, and on the weekends I could be conscious during the day without throwing off my whole week.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
3rd shift definitely takes some getting used to..

As far as sleep goes..I don't like sleeping 4 hours then waking up to do stuff If I don't have to..

Then trying to sleep another 4 hours before you have to head into work for the night..

Chances are..You won't get that other 4 hours of sleep because you're just too busy.. :rolleyes:

If you have things to do after work..Get them done..Then come home, and sleep..

It might feel like you're sleeping all day, but try to get 6-7 hours of sleep when you get home..Wake up..Eat dinner, or whatever else you have to do..

Then get at least a 1 hour nap before you go in to work..If you don't have a nap before you go in..You'll be dragging all night..

When you get home from work..If you must eat..Eat light before going to bed..

That's my

Rayo..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts