TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Thunderbird-LX-Like-New-96-Thunderbird-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem256440bb22QQitemZ160595753762QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

The motor purrs like a kitchen. And it's got a powerful transmission and blasting 45W stereo to boot! LOL

HERE IT IS! DEAL OF THE DAY
IF YOU ARE LOOKING A DEPENDABLE CAR, YOU FOUND IT!

This 96 Garage kept Thunder bird (185,000 miles) is not only a Good Driver, it looks and fells new. Absolutely no rust, Great Body and Interior, Freezing Air Conditioning. It has a 3.8L V-6 Motor, Powerful overdrive transmission, Fully loaded with the works, Power Windows, Locks, Cruise Control, Rear Defrost, Anti-Lock Brakes & more & a Blasting 45x4 Watt Pioneer sound system.

MOTOR PURRS LIKE A KITCHEN!
YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Rofl That Is Just Great

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!
I would when I hit the gas. A NA 3.8L is no rocket in a T-Bird. It was nice in my 1992 Taurus wagon though.

Essex engines are a pain. I talked to a Mustang guy at the V6 Ford Challenge and he says the headgasket problems are just a part of owning an Essex. He just expects the HG problems.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I have heard that back pressure was the main cause of the HG problems is that part true ?

--

·
Registered
975 Posts
MLS headgaskets from a 98+ mustang are a thousand times better than the older ones FWIW. My '90 had the benefit of those gaskets and went longer than 2 transmissions.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have heard that back pressure was the main cause of the HG problems is that part true ?

--
As far as I know from my dad working on them it was improper torquing of the head bolts from day one.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
From the factory? Programmed machines are used to secure the head bolts there, they're more accurate and consistent than a human ever could be. It's the nature of the TTY bolts, the design of the gaskets and the cylinder head deck thickness(lack there of) of the heads that make for the gasket blowing nature of the 3.8

·
Registered
97 Posts
From the factory? Programmed machines are used to secure the head bolts there, they're more accurate and consistent than a human ever could be. It's the nature of the TTY bolts, the design of the gaskets and the cylinder head deck thickness(lack there of) of the heads that make for the gasket blowing nature of the 3.8
The machines were set with the wrong torque specs is what I was getting at.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
So the spec was set wrong at the Essex engine plant for approximately from 15 years? Yeah I'm not buying it. There's a reason the 1996+ engines don't eat HGs at high frequency and it's very apparent when you compare the newer vs. earlier heads side by side why.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I can't tell you how many Thunderbirds I've seen for sale that will say; LOW MILES!!! ONLY 180k miles!!!! 180k miles isn't low mileage on any car.

I had my 3.8 NA rebuilt at about 240k-250k miles with MLS head gaskets and ARP head studs by someone who is well aware of the head gasket issues. I am hoping that problem is gone now.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If I didn't fear that powerful 45w stereo blowing my ear drums or fear that the powerful overdrive transmission would be too much for me I would have to think about buying that. Surprised he didn't mention the powerful 6 cylinder engine with oil to water cooling system.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
11,919 Posts
If I didn't fear that powerful 45w stereo blowing my ear drums or fear that the powerful overdrive transmission would be too much for me I would have to think about buying that.

Surprised he didn't mention the powerful 6 cylinder engine with oil to water cooling system.
Alan
:uppoint:​

1 - 18 of 18 Posts