TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this was glowing red hot after i got home from test driving... by the time i went and got the camera it had cooled down so it isn't red hot in the picture.

i'll have to admit i was really romping on it hard but i noticed burn marks on it a couple days ago.



what the heck? has anyone seen anything like this? what do i do? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
Check the connection on your alternator power cable, it sounds to me like its grounding out somewhere which is terrible and could very well lead to a fire under the hood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,407 Posts
Looks like its hitting the hood. How is the charging?Is the alt charging the battery?I wouldnt be surprised if you poped your 175amp fuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or over the top were they belong
lol would that really make a difference? i'll definitely try that though

Looks like its hitting the hood. How is the charging?Is the alt charging the battery?I wouldnt be surprised if you poped your 175amp fuse.
i don't think it's hitting the hood. i did take the hood insulation off a while back b/c i live in socal and since it never gets colder than 45degrees i figured i didn't need the insulation to keep heat under the hood.

charging is fine. alt is working perfectly. the only problem i have (and the reason i was test driving it so hard) is my radiator fan won't turn on by itself yet when i turn the a/c on it turns right on.

does the alternator use the same ground connection that is right in front of the battery? should i try cleaning the problematic connection with some a degreaser or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,902 Posts
its hitting the hood. You can take off that red crap 90* adapter thing that they use on crown victorias& others and throw it away. There is a round red cap on the bottom part of the "extension/adapter" whatever you want to call it. Pop off the cap and remove the 10mm nut. (you may have to remove the alt to do this). Then bolt the wire to the insulated stud (the one you just removed the 10mm nut from) on the rear of the alternator, thats the way mine is.
-Rob
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,245 Posts
...my radiator fan won't turn on by itself yet when i turn the a/c on it turns right on.

does the alternator use the same ground connection that is right in front of the battery? should i try cleaning the problematic connection with some a degreaser or something?
Might want to see if the coolant temp sensor (pass. side of crossover) is giving you a good signal... the PCM should command low speed fan on at 210 degrees, hi speed at 220.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,407 Posts
If there is no black mark or burn spot on the bracing on the hood then it is not hitting. But check anyway.Worse case scenario is you cut the bracing away. Thats what I did but My alt is raised alittle due to the supercharger.It barely hit one time and did the same thing. I ended up popping my 175amp fuse and the charging system stopped working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,062 Posts
I doubt it is hitting.

Looks like it is a charging issue and getting hot. Mine did it when the alt was on the way out. Little cap got crispy.
And battery could be on the way out causing the alt to work overtime doing nothing (remember it's job is to recharge the battery). If the battery will not take the charge the alt doesn't know and will keep on trying.

Could be dirty too. A poor connection will cause heat.

And you mention fan. I think you fan is dead. This too could cause the heat issue. If the fan is shorting and not running, the alt will be working overtime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
If you took the hood insulation off then I would definitely suspect that it is grounding to the hood due to the burn spot in the picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys. you're giving me a lot to work with and i will definitely give any and all suggestions a try tonite when i get home. this is definitely a fix i can't put off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
Just becareful, Ive seen some pictures of alternators that had upgrading wiring on them that wasnt installed properly resulting in the ring terminal on the alt post grounding out directly on the casing of the alt, causing a fire and basically welding the terminal to the alt case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
Since the damage is coming directly out the top of the stud it is arcing and not the unit overheating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,062 Posts
Since the damage is coming directly out the top of the stud it is arcing and not the unit overheating.
Do not think the unit is overheating. Overworking yes. The connection is overheating. I bet the wire is starting to melt as well. BUT I will add I am not there in person so I might be wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
alright so i removed the connection to the alternator... there's a black plastic part that is placed around the post on the alt casing and it is a bit melted. i took a wire brush after both the post, the nut, and the wire connector. they seemed to have quite a bit of crud on it but it was black and so it might have been from the black plastic that melted. took it out for a hard test drive and this time when i popped the hood it didn't look like the inside of a toaster oven so i will keep an eye on this but perhaps the wire brush cleaning did the trick. there was no evidence of the connection arcing on the hood. i also moved the spark plug wires to their proper location.

the electric engine fan refuses to automatically turn on though. now you can never know for sure with electrical stuff but could this incident have blown out a critical component of the cooling process? i dug out my shop manual and did some hardcore research. first off i found that if i turn the heat on and turn the fan speed on high the electric fan also turns on at high speed. not ideal for summer weather but hey it keeps my engine from overheating. as for the source of the problem i have narrowed it down to 3 things that could possibly be failing. 1) engine coolant temperature sensor (driver side on intake manifold - not water temperature indicator sender unit on passenger. wti sender reports directly to the gauge on the instrument cluster) 2) constant control relay module or 3) powertrain control module. i'm going to post a similar version of this question in a separate thread but i thought i would also mention this here as sometimes one problem can lead to another. here's the new thread: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=123143
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
Do not think the unit is overheating. Overworking yes. The connection is overheating. I bet the wire is starting to melt as well. BUT I will add I am not there in person so I might be wrong.
Not saying impossible, but since only the insulation at the top of the stud is affect I doubt it. I bet its arcing right out the start of that first thread. Overheating would cause damage to other connector and the plug wires.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,576 Posts
BTW, the insulation on the hood is more to protect the paint on the hood, than to keep heat in in the winter.

YMMV, but I'll bet that problem will show up in SoCal... :)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top