TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:zsoapbox:
So GM , the company that took bail out money (a.k.a tax dollars), is having Nissan build them a express van to be sold in United States and the part that really erks me is that it's being built in Mexico! I'm sure I could go on ranting :rant:about this all day but to sum it up; "So General Motors you need government tax dollars to bail you out? Sure here you go. Then to repay the American working public for the help, you have a Japanese car company design then build a express van in Mexico instead of giving jobs to the American working public ".
Way to go GM, Heart Beat of America my a$$!!!!:usa:
See link:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/05/14/chevrolet-van-city-express-nissan-nv200/2158425/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+UsatodaycomMoney-TopStories+(Money+-+Top+Stories)

P.S. I know Mercury did the same thing with the Villager , but it was built at
Ford's Ohio Assembly plant in Avon Lake, Ohio

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
At least it isn't like Chrysler building their Charger / 300 body in Canada and the engine in Mexico. How's that for efficiency?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Did you know the Fusion is assembled in Mexico? As is the GM 1/2 tons. Gotta keep labor costs down!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
IIRC, something like 1/2 of all American cars are assembled in Mexico.

If you really want to buy an American car, buy a Honda! :D All Hondas sold in the United States are built here in the United States. :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Honda and some Toyota cars and trucks are built here in america.

Its definitely not the way it use to be...

·
Super Moderator
16,817 Posts
GM has no incentive to build cars here. Even if they did every mouthpiece would still ***** about the bailout, bland products, quality issues, blah, blah, blah, blah. Frankly with all the strikes and sabotaged haphazard assembly issues that plagued GM through the 70s and 80s it's a wonder why they make any cars here anymore.

Most Fords are built in Canada or Mexico as well and if the cars aren't, 90% of their parts are.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It was a Federal loan. 25 billion under G.W. Bush, and 73 billion under the Obama administration. General Motors made its last cash payment of 5.8 billion dollars in April of 2010. Per the agreement, they technically payed back the loan with interest years early.

However, the agreement specified that not all of the monies would be in cash. The remaining balance owed would be payed in GM stock. Yes, the Feds own shares of private/public companies. The fly in the ointment here is that GM stock, up .008 at $32.47 today, (05/16/13) is way short of the amount needed for the Feds, i.e. tax payers, to be in the black on the deal. GM stock must reach at least ~53 dollars a share for the loan to really be payed back in full.

That really blows too that yet again jobs for Americans are not incubated.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
I know Mercury did the same thing with the Villager , but it was built at Ford's Ohio Assembly plant in Avon Lake, Ohio
Yeah, not exactly a hometown label I'm proud of either. Those things were junk. :zpuke:

At least I can kind of claim Lorain as a "hometown label" I can be proud of, even though I'm on the opposite side of the county.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Toyota already has a plant in Kentucky, theyve been making the Camry there for years.

Not like our Tbirds dont have half of their parts come from Canada ..

Even if Hondas are manufactured in the USA, doesnt mean half of their parts arent shipped in from elsewhere - the engines and transmissions all come in on a boat from Japan.

I used to work for the Toyota / GM plant here, the last manufacturing on the west coast. We were building the Pontiac Vibes, Toyota Corolla, and Toyota Tacoma. The GM bailout that killed pontiac ended up with Toyota pulling out completely. Besides manufacturing the Corolla in 19 different countries around the world, our only real competition was the Canadian built Corollas ( except Canada doesnt work overtime, so we pushed out more vehicles ) .. the Tacomas went to Mexico. They sent some mexicans up here for training, and they couldnt even afford the $5 burritos off the roach coach, thats like a whole days wages for them. And while we had a fully automated assembly line and conveyors, they were pushing them down the line by hand. Cheaper to pay to push than to build robots. Oh yeah, most of the Robots we used on the assembly line were Kawasakis, wonder how many other USA plants use foreign robots ?

Im still on the edge with the economy re-shaping, but we're looking at a boom right now in construction that should last about 4 years, if things dont pick up by then we'll be in another slump. Lots of effort going into projects around here right now, especially with the 49ers stadium being built here in Santa Clara, a lot of other companies are building in the same area. I cant compare Californias economy to the rest of the nation as a whole though.

I already lost my auto manufacturing job, even if we were building Toyotas it still needed a huge support network and a lot more people lost their jobs than just the factory workers.

So if you dont like the foreign made GM express van, dont buy it .. and maybe it will fall in sales and they will stop producing it to replace it with a newer van built in the USA.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Toyota already has a plant in Kentucky, theyve been making the Camry there for years.

Not like our Tbirds dont have half of their parts come from Canada ..

Even if Hondas are manufactured in the USA, doesnt mean half of their parts arent shipped in from elsewhere - the engines and transmissions all come in on a boat from Japan.

I used to work for the Toyota / GM plant here, the last manufacturing on the west coast. We were building the Pontiac Vibes, Toyota Corolla, and Toyota Tacoma. The GM bailout that killed pontiac ended up with Toyota pulling out completely. Besides manufacturing the Corolla in 19 different countries around the world, our only real competition was the Canadian built Corollas ( except Canada doesnt work overtime, so we pushed out more vehicles ) .. the Tacomas went to Mexico. They sent some mexicans up here for training, and they couldnt even afford the $5 burritos off the roach coach, thats like a whole days wages for them. And while we had a fully automated assembly line and conveyors, they were pushing them down the line by hand. Cheaper to pay to push than to build robots. Oh yeah, most of the Robots we used on the assembly line were Kawasakis, wonder how many other USA plants use foreign robots ?

Im still on the edge with the economy re-shaping, but we're looking at a boom right now in construction that should last about 4 years, if things dont pick up by then we'll be in another slump. Lots of effort going into projects around here right now, especially with the 49ers stadium being built here in Santa Clara, a lot of other companies are building in the same area. I cant compare Californias economy to the rest of the nation as a whole though.

I already lost my auto manufacturing job, even if we were building Toyotas it still needed a huge support network and a lot more people lost their jobs than just the factory workers.

So if you dont like the foreign made GM express van, dont buy it .. and maybe it will fall in sales and they will stop producing it to replace it with a newer van built in the USA.
+1 :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
SCTbird1994, that sucks you lost your manufacturing job. That was the NUMMI plant wasn't it? I think I remember hearing that Tesla or Fisker was interested in it at some point - do you know if anything came of that?

I was surprised about that new Chevy van too. Even putting aside the politics and manufacture of it, it's awful looking and seems a weird fit with the rest of Chevy/GMC products. I wouldn't think most businesses would be interested in such a derivative product.

Speaking of outsourcing manufacturing, I hope this doesn't happen: GM-China President Says Automaker Could Export Vehicles from China to US

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Honda and some Toyota cars and trucks are built here in America.

Its definitely not the way it use to be...
BMW also builds their X series "Sports Activity Vehicle" in Spartanburg, South Carolina. That plant has been in operation since 1994. That plant and related operations in the area represent a 2.2 Billion dollar investment in American manufacturing.

I've been past the assembly plant many times and also have done work in the sheet metal stamping plant where hoods, quarter-panels and other vehicle body components are made. It's a very impressive operation!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_US_Manufacturing_Company

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

That's in Montgomery.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
A Chinese manufacturer that makes interior parts for GM is building a plant in Kansas City to supply the GM plant here.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
It's a global economy. American people really can't ***** because how many people do you know that say things like:

"I won't work for less than $15 an hour."
"I won't get out of bed for less than $15 an hour."

Let's face it, the majority of Americans want to earn big money for doing next to nothing.

I don't make a ton of money, but I work 4 or 5 different places to make what I do make. Most of my friends say I don't charge enough.

I have a friend who has a lawn service here in town, he charges $25 a yard and the other ppl in town that do lawns are pissed and also say he doesn't charge enough (they charge $50 by the way).

So here we have a lot of people from around the world willing to work harder for less and we piss and moan instead of actually DOING something about it.

Some of us value hard work, most don't ... :zdunno:

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
It's a global economy. American people really can't ***** because how many people do you know that say things like:

"I won't work for less than $15 an hour."
"I won't get out of bed for less than $15 an hour."

Let's face it, the majority of Americans want to earn big money for doing next to nothing.

I don't make a ton of money, but I work 4 or 5 different places to make what I do make. Most of my friends say I don't charge enough.

I have a friend who has a lawn service here in town, he charges $25 a yard and the other ppl in town that do lawns are pissed and also say he doesn't charge enough (they charge $50 by the way).

So here we have a lot of people from around the world willing to work harder for less and we piss and moan instead of actually DOING something about it.

Some of us value hard work, most don't ... :zdunno:
True - to an extent. There are many fat, lazy Americans who would make the statements that you quoted above. I'm not sure what you or anyone else might propose DOING about it? The rest of the world would have to rise to our standard of living or we would have to sink to theirs in order for there to be any substantial change in the status quo.

I'm going to throw this out there not directed at you Rick, but for anyone who's interested in this thread to think about.

The one reason that comes to mind for me first of all is that much of the rest of the world is ... how shall I say this ... is "undeveloped". Meaning that their standard of living is way below ours and they're not just "willing" to work harder for less but are forced to work harder for less due to the economics of their region. China and India for example have over a billion people - each - competing for work. If one guy isn't willing to work for next to nothing the next guy is...

Then there's the example of Bangladesh. Where working/living/construction conditions are so deplorable that there are clothing factories collapsing with over a thousand workers inside! All in the name of cheap clothing for the west.

There are numerous examples of poor, unsafe and unfair labor practices around the world. Maintaining a high standard of living, safe working conditions and fair labor practices for the workers are often sacrificed in the name of cheap products.

Think about this the next time you grab a garment off the rack at your local retailer. It's so unfortunate that so many must die before these corporations take a look at their supply chains.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I read about that factory that collapsed on those workers and it is just horrible. There were two big retailers that get their clothing from there, Walmart and another that I can't remember...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts