TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has been asked way too much but i i did a search and couldnt find something to fit my problem well enough. ok, i have a 96 Tbird with 103k miles, i repleaced the wires, plugs, PCV valve and cleaned the MAF 2 times. Today, after about an hour of driving the car started to run really rough and the whole car was shaking at idle and on acceleration. I pulled over and popped the hood and there is a loud popping noise coming from the front and drivers side side of the engine. The CEL will flash and then stay on steadily. It bucks badly when i accelerate. I know im going to get a response that i should check the codes but i am afraid i will damage something, the nearest Autozone is about 25 minutes away. Clean IAC valve? Misfire? any ideas will help

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
without being able to datalog what going on in the EEC, its gonna be pretty hard to pinpoint the problem..........checking the codes is definitely the best way to start, so either get a hold of a code scanner or have the car towed there if you're really worried that you will damage something........go over all the basics: vacuum lines, loose fittings/clamps/connectors, filters, etc

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Maybe try to take the EGR valve off. I kinda had this problem, and i hopefully fixed it (knock on wood) I took mine off and looked and the thing was pretty gunked up also the passage in the upper intake were it bolts on was pretty bad. I would maybe try to clean it out if its dirty. Just a thought since you already replaced the wires and plugs also have you replaced the fuel filter recently?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
arite will check that crap 2nite after i get out of work, any ideas on the popping noise?
and btw i started running 89 octane in the car last night if that makes a difference

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
ummmm i actually dont know if thats going to make it pop or anything running 89. When i bought my bird there was 93 in the tank and it ran fine. The reason i said the filter also is because the car might be running lean causeing it to pop. By chance do you have anyone you know with a fuel pressure tester?? If so check the fuel pressure at idle it should be around 35-40 psi

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Just because you cleaned yoiur MAf doesn't mean it isn't bad either. Try unplugging it and see if it runs better when that happens

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i think i fixed the problem, i guess one of my plug wires was not pushed down all the way, so thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
:) oops simple mistake we have all done it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts