TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the hp rating of girlfriends 95 Buick PA. She has a front wheel drive 3.8 v6 too. BUT, she has 205 hp! How is that? My friends 99 mustang v6 only has 190. This is very discouraging. The 302 5.0 HO that I was looking at only has 200. How does a non SC v6 have more power than a V8?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
My friends dohc 3.4 in a 95 grand prix gtp makes 215hp. I'll let you in on a little secret....ford wants you to buy a v8 mustang.

The 05 stang v6 makes 205hp from a 4.0 v6.

-Thomas

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I guarantee you that whatever 5.0 car you are looking at, it makes a crapload more torque than your girl's Buick.

And if you really want to talk about powerful N/A V6 engines, Nissan's 3.5L DOHC V6 makes 290 or so horsepower in the 350z and the G35 Coupe....

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Hey, check out the posts in the 3.8L & 4.2L category. We're coming up with a killer plan for us V-6 guys. Look at the post about replacing with a high performance 3.8. That's not it's exact title, but look at the plan. The 4.2L splitport mill in a set up Bird, won't be the new Cobra V-8 or the GT's, but it is doable for us V-6 guys.

·
Registered
484 Posts
yeah and if you look where in the RPM range these engines make their power and torque, it makes a big difference when your talking numbers compared to moving a vehicle forward.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If you were to put her v6 and your v8 in otherwise exactly the same cars, guess who would win a race?

You. Like John said the power curves are different. Yours will be much flatter. While you might make the same peak power, you probably make more power at every other RPM.

Peak horsepower means nothing.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
John,

How can you stand driving Focus when you have anything else to drive?

I've been given a Focus to drive while my T-Bird is int he Body Shop. My SC with straight pipes was quieter.

·
Registered
484 Posts
bought the Focus new for the wife. Its been pretty good with 85K miles on it now. Its not loud and still feels solid. Its a good commuter car and fits the needs pretty good. Ive driven some rental Focus LX's, and they feel horrible. I dont abuse mine though. I drive maybe 2 miles to work and my truck does just fine for that. The bird is the third car and I drive it when I dont feel like filling up the trucks tank.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Palmguy said:
And if you really want to talk about powerful N/A V6 engines, Nissan's 3.5L DOHC V6 makes 290 or so horsepower in the 350z and the G35 Coupe....
that is a very impressive engine. 287 hp in the 350z to be exact. my uncle has a g35, that thing hauls ***.

Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts