TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cougar Pilot
Joined
·
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my inner parking lights (on each side of grill) with clear bulbs, they look sorta cool but remember someone talking 'bout hooking up some more voltage to them so they glow brighter. Anyone know how to do this? If so please explain!
 

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
more voltage is not the answer. you will either blow the bulb due to over current, or smoke the source due to clipping.

if your really insane about the brightest lights, here is what you do:

stick a 1K Ohm resistor where the bulb should be, and measure the voltage over the resistor. divide that voltage by 1K ohm, and you get the current. now measure the voltage without the resistor. divide that voltage by the current value you got, and you find the resistence for maximum power transfer.
 

·
Cougar Pilot
Joined
·
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GreenBird said:
stick a 1K Ohm resistor where the bulb should be, and measure the voltage over the resistor. divide that voltage by 1K ohm, and you get the current. now measure the voltage without the resistor. divide that voltage by the current value you got, and you find the resistence for maximum power transfer.
mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmm

I swear I remember someone talking about hooking something up differently so it would be brighter (sorta like the outside ones get bright when flashing, but constantly).
 

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
Joined
·
3,165 Posts
TurboCat said:


mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmm

I swear I remember someone talking about hooking something up differently so it would be brighter (sorta like the outside ones get bright when flashing, but constantly).
the park light has two filliments.... but it only uses one, there is a way to wire it so both filliments go on.....

i believe DanU did a write up, and i am not able to find it as of now.. im sure someone will reply with the info..
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,208 Posts
You can pull the positive lead out and switch it to the other side, this will cause the brighter filliment to light instead of the dimmer one.

Note that if your bulbs are coated this will cause the coating to get burned off much quicker.
 

·
Cougar Pilot
Joined
·
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ShadowDragon said:
You can pull the positive lead out and switch it to the other side, this will cause the brighter filliment to light instead of the dimmer one.

Note that if your bulbs are coated this will cause the coating to get burned off much quicker.
ARE you saying switch positive and negative wires?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,208 Posts
The connector has four inlets, high +, high -, low +, low -

Low - and High - are one single blade the Low + is connected by default with the high + being empty.

Pry the back of the bulb socket off and you will see the wire going to one side and not the other, Carefully pull out that connection and move it to the empty one. This will light the high instead of the low.

Note, if you don't want to mess with the socket you can bend the wires on the bulb to the other side to achieve the same effect.

Here's when I had mine that way. Passenger side was a normal incandescant bulb, the drivers side a 50w hallogen backup lamp, which, since the connectors were moved, would work in the front.



Both lights being incandsecant, with the socket modified & the bulb (on the passenger side) modified so both filliments lit at the same time.


Another angle, same deal
 

·
Cougar Pilot
Joined
·
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That looks awesome! I'll see if I can re-create that effect. Thanks alot

Update: did this, ruined wiring harness/socket, replaced with '93 part, will not f*** around again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
Are there any heat problems with this MOD? It looks very interesting....
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
14,208 Posts
If you use the higher element with coated bulbs it will burn off the coating a lot faster. The plastic is the same that is made for the headlights so it should handle a little incandscant bulb. Not sure about the 50w hallogen I threw in there though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,165 Posts
Hate to revive a dead post, but was doing a search and came across this thread. It reminded me of something I've been wondering about...........

As has been noted above, trying to get 3X more light out of a bulb that was only designed to make 1X light can cause problems. With that said, has anyone ever tried to mount fog, or driving lights inside the inner parking lights? Maybe cut the housing so you can mount the fogs inside? Any thoughts? :zdunno: :2huh:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top