TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fix up this piece of crap 94 LX 3.8L. It is a piece of crap.

It runs hot, and the elec fan is not engaging, and it has killed TWO radiators inside of a week. I can't figure it out. Maybe I just got a bad radiator the 2nd time?? But it leaked from the same spot, which is weird, or maybe that's just where fluid will leave the rad support, I don't know.

Anyhow, yeah.

It still runs like crap, this thing.

It and its damned DIS ignition system. Seriously, the tach still acts ridiculous (Indicating 500-1700rpm, after that it drops to zero, and will sit there until the rpms drop real low again), and the car stumbles more than a eight month old trying to walk for the first time. It's freaking ridiculous. and it gets crappy fuel economy.
and it yields almost no vacuum... I had a hard time feeding this piece of crap Seafoam.

This car is really beginning to irritate me. Not even my SC was this big of a pain in the ass.

So yeah, I like, really need help with this piece of junk.

Thanks, Ghost

/frustrated rant

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
New everything maybe could fix it, I wish I could help you but it sounds like this car is in need of organ transplants.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
**cough cough** car crusher... **cough cough**

·
It is nice
885 Posts
It runs hot bc the fan is not engaging so that is probably why the radiators are bursting. You should really have the fan looked at and see what's wrong. Wouldn't hurt to changed the antifreeze and thermostat for starters. sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere check all ur lines, brake booster, iac, etc. or some sort of other electrical malfunction maybe.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they keep leaking right out of the dead center of the effing rad. i also think the junk rad i bought might've been damaged.

-ghost

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
get another rad, a new temp sensor(4-5$) at autozone, new 180* t-stat-12$, flush the system, and back flush the heater core. run a jumper wire from the fan to the + on the batteryand to a ground, if it doesn't budge get a new fan motor (100$ from autozone) or get a used one from a yard just make sure it works. If it does work your ccrm has an issue and needs replacing(im pretty sure thats what its called).

As for the vacuum issue, use some carb spray and spray it around all vacuum hoses when the idle goes up you found the culprit. dont give up on it yet man it isn't hard to get great mileage out of the 3.8, i avg 30mpg on the highway with a/c. just keep it going you'll get there.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the thing is I have a limited amount of time to figure this damn thing out! :(

For what it's worth, the brakes are also really awful. Maybe a huge vac leak at the brake booster?

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Bingo. Cap off the brake booster vac line (make sure it's actually connected at the motor), drive it around the block and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't know what you have replaced on the car, but if the car runs fine while the tach dies, the problem is probably with the tach and not with the cam sensor or DIS. If the car stumbles at the same time as the tach, you likely have a shorted wire or a bad component in that system. It would help to check the vacuum out first, though.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the car stumbles totally out of synch with the tach. the tach is crazy on its own

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Well, ok. Sounds like it could be vacuum. I dunno. It could be a mechanical issue too, I suppose. If it runs ok part of the time, that probably rules out something mechanical being utterly busted. I wonder if you have problems with fuel or fuel filter?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a fuel filter isnt out of the question.

I wonder if this **** has the stock one?

But then that wouldnt explain the tach. Perhaps I should put a new one in it and see what happens??

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damnit, were this piece of crap OBDII I could at least use the computer to see whether or not the computer is seeing screwball tach signals.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Do you have the VMM? If so, there may be a way to check the tach signal through that. You can do so on the older VMMs, anyway. (I know it sounds silly, but it does work.)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I *have* a VMM for a 89-93 but this is a 94 NA 3.8L. :( It is truly a worthless piece of ****

There's a whole lot of neat stuff you can do through that little piece of crap VMM that's really well hidden

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I just skimmed the thread but if your fan isn't working at all than I would start with the fan Relay behind the headlamp.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
beyond the fan not coming on the tachometer acts ridiculous

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I would almost bet the ECM has gone wonky. But before that, have you verified that the booster is not leaking vacuum?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not really. I've sprayed water at stuff and idle stays ok. How would you recommend I check?

-ghost

1 - 20 of 22 Posts