TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.proturbokits.com/19961998mustangcobrapartslist.htm

It's beautiful!!!!!!!! And on sale for $4899.00 !!!!!! Including the turbo!!!! Anyone got 5000.00 I can borrow? I'm saving up, hopefully by this time next year I'll have it but it will not be on sale then. Oh well, it'll still be mine!!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said it can be fabricated to fit. Don't know about how much it will cost, I figured about the same. But buying it is the first step then I'll worry about the install. They said they could make it work but I never got a price. By then I should also have enough for that if I can sell the Caddy and Vette I have.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You could probably save a bunch of money by just buying the turbo and intercooler. You'll throw away most of the other stuff, so why bother paying for it? I'm not trying to rain on your parade--I appreciate it when people want to do something different--but you just won't use half that stuff. The turbo exhaust manifold won't fit at all, and all the piping will be all wrong. I'm not trying to deter you, just trying to suggest a better way of doing it.
Will

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Could someone please explain to my why turbo kits always have small a** intake tubes? That 4.6 had a huge throttle body with a tiny intake tube going into it. Must be something with the turbo characteristics or something? Why not use bigger pipe. bigger = more flow right? I'd think it'd be better to have bigger pipe for turbo applications. :2huh:
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thomas said:
Could someone please explain to my why turbo kits always have small a** intake tubes? That 4.6 had a huge throttle body with a tiny intake tube going into it. Must be something with the turbo characteristics or something? Why not use bigger pipe. bigger = more flow right? I'd think it'd be better to have bigger pipe for turbo applications. :2huh:
-Thomas
good question... I have no idea really, but I'm thinkin it probably has something to do with the compressed air being in a confined area like that. It doesn't really need to be that big if it's being forced into it... I could be waaay off though lol :D

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
The reason for having a small (relatively speaking) compressor discharge tube is to reduce the perceived turbo lag and ‘spool time to boost’.

The larger pipes only slow down boost and can make regulating boost pressure more difficult because so much more air must be purged in an overpressure situation.
This will cause surging of the engine at wot or even during deceleration. Keep in mind the total volume of air in the pipes from the turbo to the intercooler to the
intake. Lots of air.

I’ve been there and got the tee-shirt with this one.
My first attempts were few years ago on my twin turbo’d eldorado. That was an adventure. 650hp and 201.79 mph on the salt flats with a car that has the aerodynamics of a barn! But it was the fastest production body’d FWD car for 2 almost years.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
tbirdbrain said:
.....on my twin turbo’d eldorado. That was an adventure. 650hp and 201.79 mph on the salt flats with a car that has the aerodynamics of a barn! But it was the fastest production body’d FWD car for 2 almost years.
Cool as hell :thumbsup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They deduct the price for the things that don't fit and if you do need something there that doesn't fit, they will fabricate that part to fit our cars. Again, ya it's alot of money and won't happen for awhile I've got a lot of time to think of other options. Maybe I can talk them into using my car as a tester for a kit to fit our cars.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts