TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 tbird lx 4.6 86,000
Castrol GTX 10w-40 in it.

I've got a real bad vibration in the engine around 2000 rpm, it's not noticeable before or after that rpm. It sounds like "wah wah wah wah" and you can feel it in the floorboards.

Things I have done:

New waterpump
New spark plugs
New plug wires
Changine oil
Cleaning MAF
cleaning IAC
Checked codes
Swapping drive pulleys
new idlers
new belt

Nothing affected it, I'm worried it's my crank and or bearings. The weird thing is it went all last week without making the noise, now its back. My oil gauge also floats from the N to the M, I figure this shouldn't mea n anything since our gauges are dummys right?

If it is my crank/bearings, will thicker oil help prolong her life? I won't be able to put in 02 explorer engine in until after the fall semester.

Thanks,

Chad.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've never heard a 'wah wah wah wah'
Is there any way you can get your hands on a stethoscope and try and localize the noise?
Does the whole engine shake? Or just parts?
How fast are you going during this? (Idle at 2000rpm, 65 at 2000rpm?)
Does it shake the steering wheel?
Does it shake in the seat of your pants?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ITs a cycling vibration like whn a tire is unabalanced.

It does it at 2000 rpm whether its in park, neutral, or going 100.

You can here it inside the cabin and feel it throughout the car's body

·
8,239 Posts
any vibration is usually chassis/driveline related.

Or could be torque converter shudder by what you are describing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm going to go out on a line here with something I've experienced in a 2-cycle twin cylinder ultralight engine. The engine did the cyclic vibration thing you are describing.....kinda like wah,wah,wah,wha,...over and over. It turned out to be a bad rear crank bearing.

Now keep in mind the engines are quite different....this vibration occured about 6000 RPM and the bearings are roller (or ball) bearings....not plain friction bearings like in our engines.

I might suspect a main bearing, but as others have said, in all probability it's in the drivetrain after the flywheel/flexplate.

I don't have alot of experience in this area, but I just wanted to let you know what I have experienced that is similar to what you are describing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts