TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took my car into a shop to get the strut rod bushings (on the frame side) replaced, they are pretty much completely gone. I leave it there for about a week, and I finally call the guy up today, and he says he can't find any bushings that will fit, none of the replacements he found were the same size.

Do you think he's being crazy and expecting the rotted and squished bushings to be the same size as the new ones, or is it really that hard to find the correct bushings?

I'm going to go pick the car up from the shop tomorrow, since it seems he can't fix it. Are these that tough to change on your own?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting. I just took my 95 for an alignment and was told that and more. So, I went to NAPA and bought upper control arms, lower ball joints, and control arm bushings. Wouldnt you know, they gave me the bushings for the frame end, and I needed for the control arm end.

·
Super Moderator
12,844 Posts
Your mechanic is a moron. Get some Ford OEM strut rod bushings and don't look back. A little pricey but it's the only one to get the job done right.
+1

My guess is he just doesn't want to do the work and his excuse that he can't find the right part is a cop-out. Yea, they're a little involved to change. He's probably holding out for quicker, easier, more lucrative work.

The bushings are still out there see THIS THREAD for more info. (specifically post #11)

There's a great suspension part list thread that hasn't been stickied yet (hint hint to the mods.) with the Ford part numbers that you need HERE.

Ford part #'s
Strut Rod Bushing Kit Frame Side: E9SZ3A187A
Strut Rod Bushings LCA Side - Front: E9SZ3A140A
Strut Rod Bushings LCA Side - Rear: E9SZ3A140B

I'm pretty sure you're also going to need an alignment after the work is done.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually talked to the guy a bit when I went to get the car, and he said the bushings were just the wrong diameter to fit the shaft, and that he didn't want to force them on. From my experience in suspension parts, I really doubt that they should have slid on easily.

I'm planning on getting all the tools to do everything on the front end soon. I now have a garage and a steady paycheck (well, first paycheck in a week) and a second car, so I'll be able to take all the time I need to get everything done. Will I need more than jack stands and basic hand tools (ratchet, sockets, and box ends)?

Thanks

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Giant adjustable wrench is what I used, plus a 1 and 1/8 wrench. Anything else I had already. But take a look at the size of those nuts in the K member, there huge!!! And use thread locker during the alignment so these things dont back out. Mine backed out because I didn't use thread locker. The nylon locker on the nut behind the K member wasn't enough to hold it in place. So you know the kinds of force being put on this part. The strut rod is easily one of the most important parts that you need to do that job right, with the right parts. Ford OEM is the only recommended parts.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Ford part #'s

alignment not necessary. also, you can bypass the 3a187 kit and just get the bushigs if you want. that's what i did on mine. all the hw was still ok. p/n on the individual bushings frame side are: F7SZ-3A225-AA & E9SZ-3B271-A.

·
Registered
189 Posts
alignment not necessary. also, you can bypass the 3a187 kit and just get the bushigs if you want. that's what i did on mine. all the hw was still ok. p/n on the individual bushings frame side are: F7SZ-3A225-AA & E9SZ-3B271-A.

Do those part numbers include the two sleeves ? I can't see how it's possible to reuse them since they get pressed in and crushed by the washers ?

Thanx !

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Do those part numbers include the two sleeves ? I can't see how it's possible to reuse them since they get pressed in and crushed by the washers ?

Thanx !
bushings only. buyers choice which way they want to go...just threw that option out there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I think that's super cool that you don't have to buy the whole well priced kit.

How did you go about the sleeves on your car ?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
MY perfectly rust free AZ/cali car had totally seized sleeves good luck getting them apart, I trashed mine. Also the nuts in the kit have new nylon lockers. I know its was an arm and a testicle but buying the whole kit was the only way I was going to do the job right. Your results may vary, ask your Dr. if a complete strut rod bushing kit is right for you. :)

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I think that's super cool that you don't have to buy the whole well priced kit.

How did you go about the sleeves on your car ?
mechanic here at work did the job....

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
buy the entire kit. most likely, you will chew up the factory sleeves trying to remove them. also, the front frame bushings will probably be shaped differently than the factory ones. reuse the original 30mm nuts. the nuts that came in the kit did not want to thread on smoothly. the nut on the backside of the frame did not want to break free, which is good, so leave that one alone.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I have it fixed to the point of being safe. For starters, it ended up being the LCA end of the strut rod that had the bad bushings, and it was the back side that had it far, far worse.

I ended up only changing the back side of the bushing set, since I couldn't get to the front bushing (it was still in fairly good condition though). And it seems that the sleeves were molded in the rubber, so intead of using the one piece sleeves in my kit, I just cut all the rubber off of the origional sleeve, and stuck that inside the new one. After tightening it down, it's far, far better. No slop front to rear.

I do still need to replace a couple ball joints, and when I do that, I think I'll do a whole front end rebuild (or pay someone to do it if I'm rich enough :p), complete with new shocks and cutting the coils. When I do that, I'll be sure to complete the bushing job correctly.

·
Banned
613 Posts
+1

My guess is he just doesn't want to do the work and his excuse that he can't find the right part is a cop-out. Yea, they're a little involved to change. He's probably holding out for quicker, easier, more lucrative work.

The bushings are still out there see THIS THREAD for more info. (specifically post #11)

There's a great suspension part list thread that hasn't been stickied yet (hint hint to the mods.) with the Ford part numbers that you need HERE.

Ford part #'s
Strut Rod Bushings LCA Side - Front: E9SZ3A140A
Strut Rod Bushings LCA Side - Rear: E9SZ3A140B

how many of each do we buy? some say 4 some say 2? im just guessing here and say 2 of each, makes sense? why 4?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts