TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heard rumors that MOOG lower control arms existed, with the ball joints and bushings pressed in ready to install. I had been able to find the replacement ball joints and UCA's, but was never able to find the LCA's. Out of necessity and thanks to Big Scott's tireless efforts to track them down, not only was I able to find them but actually I purchased them for $75 each locally. Here's the proof:

and here are the part numbers:

Don't let the Car Quest boxes fool you they are MOOG's and MOOG PN's and if you look real close you might see the TRW stamp on the arm.

Now here is some really good news. You can actually get them here for under $50 a piece. Just point and click away all.

-mike

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Is that a bushing for the shock of some sort that I see there? I am wondering b/c I didn't use any type of bushing for the bottom shock mount when I put my Bilsteins on. They didn't have any on there before (shocks had been replaced by sears by previous owner), so I didn't put one on. If that is a bushing and it IS supposed to be there then does anyone know what effects not having it would make? I don't want to steal a thread so just PM me if you know. I need to get some of those lower arms my self.

Russell

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
96bird said:
Is that a bushing for the shock of some sort that I see there?
Russell
Yup.

You can actually get the shock bushing and K-member bushings as separate items. MOOG PN's:

K8604 for the shock bushing ($14.04 at Rockauto)
K8766 for the K-member bushing ($16.46 at Rockauto)

It appears that those prices are per piece, not per pair, so $46.79 for the whole unit is souding better all the time. The lower ball joints (K8477) are $31.79 per.

-mike

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Do you think it makes a difference whether it is there or not? Realize this is an inquisitive question because I do know that there was a reason of course that the ford engineers used a bushing for the lower shock mount. I just don't want it to do anything bad before I change the lower arms.

Russell

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
96bird said:
Do you think it makes a difference whether it is there or not? Realize this is an inquisitive question because I do know that there was a reason of course that the ford engineers used a bushing for the lower shock mount. I just don't want it to do anything bad before I change the lower arms.

Russell
You've got mail.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
arent the MOOG units the same as the regular TRWs? They look jut like my TRW arms. I got mine from Discount for 67$ and it took 2 days to get them.

joseph

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Great Obucina said:
arent the MOOG units the same as the regular TRWs? They look jut like my TRW arms. I got mine from Discount for 67$ and it took 2 days to get them.
joseph
96 GoldBird said:
if you look real close you might see the TRW stamp on the arm.
-mike
I don't know if the ball joints and bushings are the same as what is in the TRW. I suspect they are, but MOOG has their own parts and PN's for those items and markets them as "MOOG" parts. Does MOOG really make anything??? I don't know, but their strut rod bushings are poly and superior to the MN12 poly bushings.

The price from Rockauto.com is $46.79 per, plus shipping. I just ordered two for GB to be delivered in Atlanta.. total was $106 and change. We'll see how long it takes them to get there.

-mike

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
You can actually get the shock bushing and K-member bushings as separate items. MOOG PN's:

K8604 for the shock bushing ($14.04 at Rockauto)
K8766 for the K-member bushing ($16.46 at Rockauto)
-mike

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :znanner: :znanner: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

You guys rock!! I have been hunting around all over the place for the shock bushing with no luck! I have new Poly's and new Ball joints on some spare arms, but the shock bushings were original and I really wanted to replace them!!

Thanks for all the information!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I just finished installing a set of those on another member's car this past weekend, and they were MOOG, and actually came in MOOG boxes. I didn't realize you guys were having a hard time finding them, we actually ordered them from O'Reillys Auto Parts, and they came in 2 days later.

Dustin seemed pretty happy with his afterwards, we replaced uppers, lowers, and strut rod bushings at the same time. He had some creaks and rattles before, but last I heard, he had none anymore. Just a word of advise, if you are doing strut rod bushings, go ahead and schedule a front end alignment for the same day, we put the eccentrics on the LCAs back in the same position that they were in, and still was about 3/4" off on each side because of the difference in the new poly strut rod bushings. Easily fixed by a front end alignment, but also very necessary.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For those of you ordering off RockAuto:

- You give this discount code: 7553684909 to friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.
- When someone places an order at www.rockauto.com and enters your discount code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart, he or she will receive an immediate 5% discount on that order.
- The discount code expires on March 7, 2004; so don't wait!
**Each month we see people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code.**

I just ordered the Moog upper control arms and other suspension parts from them. They are selling the UCA variant with Moog solutions grease fitting. Price was much lower than any other source I could find thanks for the reccomendation from this board. The web site easy to navigate and items were shipped out after the next full business day.

Paul

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
greatestbestest said:
- the UCA variant with Moog solutions grease fitting.
Paul
Tell me more about these... got PN's???

·
Registered
24 Posts
There appears to be more than one kind of Moog upper control arm out there. The part numbers for both are K8596 (left) K8598 (right). Carquest and RockAuto are selling one with blue ball joint cover and hole on the top of the ball to add grease. Several other retailers are selling same thing with clear? boot and no hole on the joint. As for why there are more than one kind of part being sold under the same part number I have no idea.

Paul

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, you're talking about the uppers.. they are already done, and I'm not sure which ones I got, but Scott can probably tell me... it's too late anyway, what I got, I got.. Grease is nice though, I don't understand why they would even make any suspension parts that can't be greased... guess they just want to buy new ones every 5 years....

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't see any grease fitting on the lower ball jont. Is that something I'm just missing? I just replaced my lower ball joint with the Car Quest reboxed ones and they did have the grease fittings.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ones in the pix did not have grease fittings, but I have heard of other circumstances where some MOOG parts don't, and identical part numbers do, and who knows how or why. If you check a couple of posts above, the same situation exists with UCA's.

I sent a pair of MOOG ball joints I had laying around to someone to press into LCA's. I'm gonna check to see if those have grease fittings or not, I don't remember... Maybe the replacement ball joints have fittings, but the ones already pressed into the LCA's don't??? That makes no sense, but that wouldn't surprise me either...

-mike

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
greatestbestest said:
There appears to be more than one kind of Moog upper control arm out there. The part numbers for both are K8596 (left) K8598 (right). Carquest and RockAuto are selling one with blue ball joint cover and hole on the top of the ball to add grease. Several other retailers are selling same thing with clear? boot and no hole on the joint. As for why there are more than one kind of part being sold under the same part number I have no idea.

Paul
K8596 & k8598 ..... upper control arms ... remove replace and align?
Mainly making sure number are right

Thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
I just put moog lowers in my mark, I got them from roack auto but I thought they were like 100 each. They should be exactly teh same part but rock auto is giving me the part number k8784 and k8783. I'm going to be pissed if I bought the same part and spent 100 more.......

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
95BLKLSC said:
I just put moog lowers in my mark, I got them from roack auto but I thought they were like 100 each. They should be exactly teh same part but rock auto is giving me the part number k8784 and k8783. I'm going to be pissed if I bought the same part and spent 100 more.......
I don't know if the LCA's are interchangeable from the T-bird to the Mark.. I sure thought they were, but the MOOG LCA's for the T-bird are listed at $49.79 apiece.. they went up about $6 from a few months ago when I bought a set.

The PN's they gave you are the ones for the Mark.. The PN' listed for the Bird are the same as I posted in the first post... click the link and follow the menu...

I have no idea what the difference between the parts could be?? Maybe they just jack you cause it's a Mark, I dunno..

Sears jacked me $10 extra for a battery check on my Vette the other day, just 'cause it's a vette.. they tried to tell me it was a complicated removal.. it's easier than on the MN12..

-mike

1 - 20 of 44 Posts