TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any machinists or metalurgists have any thoughts on using bronze to create rear LCA bushings versus aluminum or umhw. I could care less about noise, vibration or harshness compared to stock. All I want is something with little deflection that will equate to better times at the drag strip. My current stock ones are starting to show some wear.

Here is the material I was thinking about. I would just make them two pieces and press them together with the bolt riding on the bronze directly. http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=14189&step=4&showunits=inches&id=758&top_cat=850

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I think it would be around for a while, but it might start to eat on the control arm. I made some rear sway bar end link upper bushings out of bronze bushings from the hardware store. I re used the sleeve from the stock upper bushing. IIRC, they started squeaking a little after awhile and started to get a little play in them, but I never did anything about them after that . I dont know if it was the steel end link housing or the bushing that was wearing. They were with the car for about 5 years up until the end.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Think it through some more. The bolt MUST be tightened on a sleeve inside a bushing or the LCA won't be able to rotate at all. :confused:

And, the Bronze Age was several centuries ago, there are much better materials for bushings now. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts