TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,422 Posts
If you haven't taken the online"training", it won't work anyway. :)
It will force an update the next time you run it, and then force you to pass the training to open back up. :D
Can you tell I'm still pissed? :)
Those headers look pretty good.
I have a set of the 2v midlength kooks.
Of course I need 4v, lol.
Funny enough I found my dongle and fired up prp for the first time in over two years(prior to the crackdown) and it fired right up without a forced update. (I keep auto updates off and just in case I shut off wifi when I open the program so maybe that helped.) Sure would be nice if one of you computer nerds figured out how to crack the lisence for this thing so we’re not at the mercy of a shady company or the EPA 😉

How do you take the test? I have heard absolutely nothing from SCT in all this time, did you contact them?

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
Do they still make the chip that you can tune on-the-fly?
As far as I know they do, they didn't get cracked down on, actually I think there's some loophole that shields them from it because they're selling hardware only while the software is basically crowdsourced or something.

I got PRP a year too early when quarterhorse came out with on the fly tuning, ugh!

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
Ah I’ve been trying to send to the [email protected] email address, was just about to resend actually. I have my dongle number and my name but I do not have the original email I had in 2007 when I bought it, so that might suck

I see they dropped the burn count from 150 to 100. Guess who's not updating for a while, lol. :)
What in the actual hell, I wish they’d just nuke the burn counter.

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
From what I've read, the counter is to make sure you aren't doing commercial tunes without buying the dealers' version.
IIRC, if you hit the limit you can call sct and have them reset it; the software keeps a record of what vin numbers you've tuned.

I got an email after I swapped the eec in the tbird; having a 4th vin pop up was a problem for them; I just had to explain.
They know the FTE1 eecs are crap. :)
I don't think so, first of all unless you're only tuning thunderbirds, and only ones that use the same strategy as you, you'd need to purchase all the extra databases of various strategies and by that point it would probably be smarter money on your end to actually become a full on dealer. Second, any time you update Advantage the burn counter resets to 100(formery 150) and you can do that as many times as you like. SCT has no issue with making burns, and the way tuning works with this software it's trial and error making/checking datalogs, correcting/burning the new tune, making/checking the datalogs, and so on to get it all optimized, you can run through that burn count pretty quick just tuning one car.

The primary desire of the burn counter is to force you into keeping the software up to date. And even if you did keep the burns low there was some sort of timer that would coax you into updating after a year or two (or there was since mine's still working on the version I last updated to in 2017). I personally don't need or want the updates, as very little I see added pertains to these cars or Mustangs of the same era, and more importantly I still remember the one that eliminated the Xcal 1 tuning option and as someone still rocking an ancient reflective screen X2 I'm a bit concerned the button to write tunes to it disappears someday as well.

Hey take it easy on the diesels ;)
It's all diesel's fault I have to take this stupid test lol

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out regarding the email. Pretty sure they only need your email to make sure you did the training, where by the website uses your email as a username and thus for future correspondence as well. Just tell them you want to update it so they can get the ball rolling. The training website is advantage.learnupon.com, but I'd suggest don't try to create your account just yet. Ask them first to make sure you don't go messing things up.

So after passing the test do they contact me or should I them from the [email protected] address? I finished my test at 1:14 and haven't gotten any emails, also updated Advantage on my second laptop just now and it gave me the neutered version so obviously they haven't granted me access yet.

Oh yeah If you have Advantage on two PCs, if you update one you have to update the other it seems. They must write something into the dongle when you do it so you can't have the latest version and the older version.:(

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
Email them with those 3 info pieces and they look it up and do their thing. After they do their thing, your dongle won't be recognized if you try to start up AdvantageIII. You have to run the UpdateCliente.exe first, download all updates, and then open up AdvantageIII.
I’ll do it tomorrow, whatever time it was I emailed them this morning seemed to be the sweet spot, I got the “learning” links within the hour

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
I always wondered if header paint self cured after enough time, guess not lol Did you go through the whole bake in process with them? Speaking of paint I hate when shops overspray onto the underbody, big little peeve of mine.

15 horsepower is about what I expected with MACs, that’s very consistent with what I’ve seen posted up on Mustangs with them. I like the flanges you used, my 4V MACs need them added to the collectors which has been part of my demotivation from using them(also need blasting, touch ups of any deep pits that might blow through from the blasting, and bungs ugh). It would have probably been easier to have used a SN95 EGR tube that feeds off the driver side header, obviously Oscar eliminated the tube/bung for it when he modified them but the factory tube would have likely cleared and probably wouldn’t have been such a tight squeeze for Dave to get in there

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
I’m not sure lifting it on one side will help since twist of the engine and give of the motor mounts is already lifting that header upwards. I’d actually suggest a block chain instead to keep the driver side from pulling up, Rod uses one in his Cougar.

Latter part sounds like my winter project(once my doctor gives the ok anyway), I’m pulling the valve covers for the wrinkle coated ones and doing the cooling mod and trying to add back CELO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts