TCCoA Forums banner
281 - 300 of 314 Posts

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,032 Posts
Do they still make the chip that you can tune on-the-fly?
As far as I know they do, they didn't get cracked down on, actually I think there's some loophole that shields them from it because they're selling hardware only while the software is basically crowdsourced or something.

I got PRP a year too early when quarterhorse came out with on the fly tuning, ugh!

·
Super Moderator
12,028 Posts
Send an email to [email protected] and they'll enroll you in the course. Once you finish they re-enable the "privileged" functions for you.

I never updated mine either, so no changes for me. I've got over a hundred burns left - and I made an image of my tuning computer before it was powered up for the first time, after the whole scandal went down. So as long as the burn count isn't on the dongle itself, I have unlimited writes. :)

You didn't sell your car, did you? :p

Got my full access up and running! Woohooo!

[email protected] did nothing for me. No answer, even after I sent it a 2nd time. They only do "call backs" from their phone, and their chat service is disabled. I posted in the PRP forum and someone replied to send an email to [email protected]. I had already done the emissions course and passed the 5-question quiz and that is all that I needed. They just need your name, the email you have registered with them, and the USB Dongle Serial number found in the lower left corner of the Advantage software.

·
Super Moderator
11,921 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that some ******* rolled coal on someone from the epa,lol.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
I see they dropped the burn count from 150 to 100. Guess who's not updating for a while, lol. :)

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
Ah I’ve been trying to send to the [email protected] email address, was just about to resend actually. I have my dongle number and my name but I do not have the original email I had in 2007 when I bought it, so that might suck

I see they dropped the burn count from 150 to 100. Guess who's not updating for a while, lol. :)
What in the actual hell, I wish they’d just nuke the burn counter.

·
Super Moderator
12,028 Posts
I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out regarding the email. Pretty sure they only need your email to make sure you did the training, where by the website uses your email as a username and thus for future correspondence as well. Just tell them you want to update it so they can get the ball rolling. The training website is advantage.learnupon.com, but I'd suggest don't try to create your account just yet. Ask them first to make sure you don't go messing things up.

·
Super Moderator
11,921 Posts
From what I've read, the counter is to make sure you aren't doing commercial tunes without buying the dealers' version.
IIRC, if you hit the limit you can call sct and have them reset it; the software keeps a record of what vin numbers you've tuned.

I got an email after I swapped the eec in the tbird; having a 4th vin pop up was a problem for them; I just had to explain.
They know the FTE1 eecs are crap. :)

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
From what I've read, the counter is to make sure you aren't doing commercial tunes without buying the dealers' version.
IIRC, if you hit the limit you can call sct and have them reset it; the software keeps a record of what vin numbers you've tuned.

I got an email after I swapped the eec in the tbird; having a 4th vin pop up was a problem for them; I just had to explain.
They know the FTE1 eecs are crap. :)
I don't think so, first of all unless you're only tuning thunderbirds, and only ones that use the same strategy as you, you'd need to purchase all the extra databases of various strategies and by that point it would probably be smarter money on your end to actually become a full on dealer. Second, any time you update Advantage the burn counter resets to 100(formery 150) and you can do that as many times as you like. SCT has no issue with making burns, and the way tuning works with this software it's trial and error making/checking datalogs, correcting/burning the new tune, making/checking the datalogs, and so on to get it all optimized, you can run through that burn count pretty quick just tuning one car.

The primary desire of the burn counter is to force you into keeping the software up to date. And even if you did keep the burns low there was some sort of timer that would coax you into updating after a year or two (or there was since mine's still working on the version I last updated to in 2017). I personally don't need or want the updates, as very little I see added pertains to these cars or Mustangs of the same era, and more importantly I still remember the one that eliminated the Xcal 1 tuning option and as someone still rocking an ancient reflective screen X2 I'm a bit concerned the button to write tunes to it disappears someday as well.

Hey take it easy on the diesels ;)
It's all diesel's fault I have to take this stupid test lol

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out regarding the email. Pretty sure they only need your email to make sure you did the training, where by the website uses your email as a username and thus for future correspondence as well. Just tell them you want to update it so they can get the ball rolling. The training website is advantage.learnupon.com, but I'd suggest don't try to create your account just yet. Ask them first to make sure you don't go messing things up.

So after passing the test do they contact me or should I them from the [email protected] address? I finished my test at 1:14 and haven't gotten any emails, also updated Advantage on my second laptop just now and it gave me the neutered version so obviously they haven't granted me access yet.

Oh yeah If you have Advantage on two PCs, if you update one you have to update the other it seems. They must write something into the dongle when you do it so you can't have the latest version and the older version.:(

·
Super Moderator
12,028 Posts
Email them with those 3 info pieces and they look it up and do their thing. After they do their thing, your dongle won't be recognized if you try to start up AdvantageIII. You have to run the UpdateCliente.exe first, download all updates, and then open up AdvantageIII.

·
Administrator
20,032 Posts
Email them with those 3 info pieces and they look it up and do their thing. After they do their thing, your dongle won't be recognized if you try to start up AdvantageIII. You have to run the UpdateCliente.exe first, download all updates, and then open up AdvantageIII.
I’ll do it tomorrow, whatever time it was I emailed them this morning seemed to be the sweet spot, I got the “learning” links within the hour

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
I finally logged into the PRP forum and searched to find what needed to be changed in the tune for installing longtubes. For future reference (for me mostly, lol), here's some tidbits I grabbed to help remind me of what needs to be done. Along with an interesting comment about low speed operation.

David Dalke is also in the middle of moving shops, so I'll be in touch with him in September or so to set up a time for him to take a look at installing mine. I just need to do it. :)

Good headers in general, reduce the pressure in the cylinder during the overlap cycle - initiating low pressure in the inlet tract; in doing so, unburnt fuel (hydrocarbons) & oxygen flow into the exhaust tract causing the O2 sensor to read lean, MOST PREVALENT AT LOW SPEED OPERATION.

A misfire will also show a lean exhaust stream due to excess oxygen.
O2s are now farther away, so increase transport delay by 10-20%. I used to increase it a LOT more but I don't think thats necessary. You can also increase the limits where transport delay learning occurs if you have access to that in your PCM.

O2s have less engine heat, so they need the O2 heater duty cycle increased to warm them up faster.

You also want to increase the closed loop delay time so they have more time to get warm. As long as you are able to increase the heater duty cycle then this only needs to be another 10 seconds or so. On 99/98+ this is a function of ECT vs time. On older cars the function is not used and a scalar is used instead.

I have never seen a mass air based system require more fuel with an LT header change. I've heard rumors of it, but have never seen it happen on a single Ford vehicle.
you need 20-30% more heater duty cycle

281 - 300 of 314 Posts