TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
What kind did you get? They're probably the wrong plugs for the car.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
As long as you don't have SVO heads or early 92 heads (obviously these only appeared in the Crown Vic/TC/MGM) then the partially threaded plugs are fine.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
My cousin got some autolites for his 97 LSC the other day and they were half threaded like the awsf plus.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
New plugs I bought only had half-thread as well. I researched it VERY WELL before I installed them and found out they never thread into the non-threaded part anyways like Chris said. BTW Chris, very witty to change your poster status to "newbie" LOL

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I dont know what causes the spark plug blowout, but we always wind up pulling the heads and getting a machine shop to drill and install threaded inserts when we repair them. I usually see it on trucks and expeditions, but I have seen it on a Mustang once. I like to just snug the plugs down. You dont have to show them who the boss is :)

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
There are 3 threads in our spark plug holes; I read that here. (and counted at the first opportunity, lol; it's hard to believe)

Since it's aluminum, a good set of detonations would very likely take them out.

I haven't lost one yet, with a total of over 350k miles on these cars.
(fingers crossed)

:)

The Mark motors (98 at least) seem to be fully threaded; anyone know about the later PI heads?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have seen 2 different PI-headed vehicles blow out the plugs so I would suppose they have the same 3 threads holding in the plug. In the SHM book it says the SVO heads accept only a fully-threaded plug. The blow-outs always seems to be on the right bank too. I think every one I have ever seen was on the right bank.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I dont know about you, but I would rather yank the heads than risk running metal shavings through the cylinder. I always let a machine shop handle mine after I have removed them, although in the SHM book they talk about installing inserts without pulling the head, which probably would take some balls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts