TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First question why can I not find a larger throttle body for my bird 94 LX 4.6 and if you know where then please let me know, next is the only MAF sensor I can use the Lightning mafs and the harness, finally was is all this chip BS like dont use hypertech or jet but this other called Inject Tech that no one has ever heard of so what do you use??

·
Registered
663 Posts
Urm... This is based on what I've read here. If you don't have forced induction such as a blower/supercharger or turbo, a larger throttle body is un-necessary and will not help. You can use a '02 or '03 Mustang GT MAF and (I think) intake tube on your 94. As for chips, the legendary Inject-Tech chip is out of production but, the very same program that they used to program the chips is being used by...

http://www.fordchip.com

http://www.apten-performance.com

http://www.reinhartautomotive.com

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can get the trottlebody from Ford Racing, it's a 70mm TB. I don't know the part number off hand. You can use a 02 GT MAF or the 80mm lightning. I had to buy a different maf plug in my 95' for the 80mm to work. Just get a chip from dennis or www.fordchip.com , they are two of the best for are rides.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Dennis & Fordchip aren't the only places that sell the I-T type programmed chips.

Warped posted a link already for Apten Performance. I believe there is another website for it though...

Apten

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
OK, here's the truth.

02 MAF is a good bet, But the Intake tube will not fit a '94, the airbox will fit

All those chips are good

For a '95, a truck throttle body will bolt on and is larger, but it won't help you. Just look at the curved neck after the throttle body. See the big indention in it? That is a much larger restriction than your throttle body will ever be. You can follow the instructions to eliminate it, but you need to make quite a bit of horsepower before you need a new TB. If you do put a larger TB on it without the need, you run the risk of losing throttle response.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
1.You can get a 70mm throttle body for 94/95 birds from Karkraft.com but it wont do you any good, unless you bring every other part of the induction airpath to an equivalent cross section, including the gooseneck , which takes a lotta grinding just to make the throttle blade fit.LOL 2. size of MAF isnt as important as the capability to sense airflow .... The 80mm Lightning is rated pretty highly in this respect, but you need to have the chip burned for the maf youre useing...I bought the chip, MAF, adapter, and an electrical adapter to use with bird electronics, from Reinhart , and all worked splendidly ... do not try to put this stuff together piecemeal, as it will cost you more.....
.......................................................................................................................................
'95LX, 5.4L ... Picked up a 6# blower kit for it today

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Bass_Mech150 said:
First question why can I not find a larger throttle body for my bird 94 LX 4.6 and if you know where then please let me know, next is the only MAF sensor I can use the Lightning mafs and the harness, finally was is all this chip BS like dont use hypertech or jet but this other called Inject Tech that no one has ever heard of so what do you use??
Ya know, i'm getting tired of some of the smooze being pandered as "fact"
on our site......bad advice has become hardened into "fact"

Bass_Mech150 here's what you posted to find out:

Our 4.6L engine's are expensive to pull power out of.....your '94 'Bird,
assuming it's stock.... sucks with respect to the breathing capability of
intake airtube system, heads, cams, cats, and exhaust.

If you don't plan on a methodical well planed series of mods to your 'Bird
don't waste your money and time......

A "good" chip is a great start and you might as well get the MAF at the same
time to save on a later reburn for the new transfer function table you'll
need to go with it......the MAF won't help much, if at all though, until you
open up your 4.6L's breathing by, at least, getting a better airtube setup,
and "loosening" your your exhaust system by whatever method you choose....

Just to keep the facts straight....the current record holder on this site ran an SC'd
'95 4.6L engine with stock heads and a 80mm LMAF...don't let anyone blow smoke
your way that a bigger MAF will do SQUAT for you in your current configuration,
'cause it ain't.

Once you have your breathing (Intake and Exhaust) loosened a bit and you
have your chip and MAF.....enjoy the car's new responsiveness and decide
what you want to do next...trans, gears, TC, drive shaft....unfortunately the
list is endless....

If you know cars...then the same physics apply to your current 'Bird as any
other ICE car you care to talk about....

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
MagerThom said:

Just to keep the facts straight....the current record holder on this site ran an SC'd
'95 4.6L engine with stock heads and a 80mm LMAF...don't let anyone blow smoke
your way that a bigger MAF will do SQUAT for you in your current configuration,
'cause it ain't.
Who might that be?? if i remember correctly they were SVO heads not stock 95'ers

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
EECDOC and they weren't SVO's...

at least that's what he just told me.....:O)
'course that could have been an "early" configuration,
that I don't know.....

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
VicRattlehead said:

Who might that be?? if i remember correctly they were SVO heads not stock 95'ers
Keith -

BTW-- Just to show you how many people are pulling their yashes on this
MAF stupidity.... that run was made with an 80mm LMAF and even with
SVO's and PI's AND a 75mm TB that's going on my setup soon, his advice
to me is stick with the 80mm unless I'm going for an out and out assault....:O)

Assuming no one's of a mind to say they know better than he does...how does
an 85mm ('02 GT MAF) do anything for a totally constipated '94 4.6L engine?

I'm not arguing, I'm not flaming....it's just that I've gotten tired of this fairy
tale stuff being sold on this site for the past year plus.....it ain't that much
different than telling some poor shmo that an 850 dp Holley will make his
bone stock non HP 302 run great.......ya know what I mean...?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
MagerThom said:
EECDOC and they weren't SVO's...

at least that's what he just told me.....:O)
'course that could have been an "early" configuration,
that I don't know.....
ohh i feel like an idiot i totally forgot about doc, i was thinking you were talking about blake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do no cars and advise from someone who knows that much more is always better, I have everything in the works right noe for my exhaust, maf, chip from dennis, my intake instead of that big restrictor it came with and yes its all getting done at once I know that also, my tranny is brand new along with the shift kit and modifyed body. Thanks again for you insight and the forever long effort to keep the b.s. down about fake hp mods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts