TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing some things lately that you can port a stock 97 4.6L TB. Is that even worth the trouble? How would you do that?

·
Registered
441 Posts
well i dont know about the 97 but i home made ported my 95 throttle body wth a tremel tool didnt see that much of a differnce and its really not worth it in my opinon unless you have major upgrades but it can be done.

Rigel

·
Registered
654 Posts
97Tibirdman said:
I have been hearing some things lately that you can port a stock 97 4.6L TB. Is that even worth the trouble? How would you do that?
NOPE - the butterfly is still the same size - I use a 70mm TB

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I picked up a truck TB that had a 70mm blade. It was restricted to 65mm on the end so I chucked it up in the lathe and made it 70mm all the way. I did notice a slight difference from it over my stock 95 TB

·
Registered
513 Posts
There is a guy on ebay who did mine for my 96 4.6 I will look up what I paid and get back....
Think I paid like $80...Dont know if guy still does work or not.....
His ebay user ID is SLIMMY1021
You can try and email him???????

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
without a lotta flow goodies it simply isnt worth it... i run a 75mm T/b ,mwhich is about right for my setup, but a 4.6 will only get a tad better response , and not a true HP gain by adding a big 5mm to its size...

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
It was one of those deals where I had it in front of me and said "why not" I was really just looking to use any throttle body bigger than my stock one. What was the stock one 54mm I think. I noticed better throttle response ,but I seriously doubt it actually made more horsepower after I did that. I never installed the throttle body with the lip still on it to find out how it did with that. I mostly did it because it was free. Friends in a junkyard can be useful at times. Especially when they owe you :).
Alan

·
Registered
748 Posts
97Tibirdman said:
If you motor is completely stock (not counting BOLT ONs) I wouldn't waste my time porting a stock TB. Even with mods.....I wouldn't screw with it. But if you're stock, and looking for alittle more HP.....then go with a replacement 70mm TB and a new....larger MAF....like atleast an 80MM. I didn that when my was stock....ran a 90mm L-MAF with a 70mm Tb and went from a best of 15.4 to a 15.2 in the 1/4 mile.....in 90 degree heat. Had friends in Dayton that witnessed it also.

Anyways, that would be my advise

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
97Tibirdman said:
Saying one mod is not worth it may be true but if you do all the little things they add up. I have done all the little not worth it mods I can to my 94 and it has a best run of 15.07 and I am confident it will go 14's with the drag radials.

My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
748 Posts
All I'm saying is porting the stock TB isn't worth the effort as compared to just going with a new, larger one. Yes, the other little things add up......but proting a stock TB just isn't worth it. A few guys here have tried it, and based on the results, the effort just wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It might, but I would fire off an email to CN and ask. That's what I would do. It probably would but you would need a custon air intake tube

1 - 20 of 24 Posts