TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size is the OEM throttle body on the '96? Also, how much of a gain can I expect to see from a 70mm unit with an intake plenum?

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot I already asked about the power gains before:bangwall:
If I do a tune, will the bigger throttle body and plenum help me out a little bit?

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I'm most likely better off if I save up for a computer tune?

·
Registered
370 Posts
not necessarily. you're better off finding explorer heads and intake, then getting your intake bits, THEN getting a tune.

·
Registered
370 Posts
how much does a whole engine cost from a JY?

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I don't have the time, experience, tools, money to do a head and intake swap, let alone a full engine swap. That'll be another day....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well, I don't have the time, experience, tools, money to do a head and intake swap, let alone a full engine swap. That'll be another day....
Let alone an engine swap? Engine swap is a whole lot easier trhan head/intake swap. That is unless you can just bend over into the engine bay for several hours at a time. It's just as easy to pull the motor out of the car to do a PI swap. Take it from someone who has done a PI swap. Just get a whole explorer engine. It will end up costing just as much to swap everything, and I bought used heads and intake.

·
Registered
518 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
A headswap is pretty involved, however a PI intake swap is quite easy, and will give you noticable gains, certainly more than changing out your plenum and TB. I would spend the money on PI intake, and cams if you are feeling ambitious, and a tune, and that should get you a noticeable power gain.

·
Registered
370 Posts
hey while we're discussing explorer heads, should i grab the cams with it?

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
how much does a whole engine cost from a JY?
That is a complicated question, YMMV.

I bought a 97 Mark VIII engine with 68k miles for $500.

One that is perfect at that mileage will be ~$1000... Mine required some serious cleaning internally, as well as other stuff.

There are some great deals on same year model direct swap stuff, but expect to pay more for new stuff. Any modular motor over 10 years old needs new valve stem seals at a minimum; other seals are easier to replace while it's out... :)

Mercury Gran Marquis long blocks are a fairly straight swap, with 96/97 intake and fuel rails and stuff. Almost the same as stock. I've seen these for $800 with low mileage.

IMHO, The totally awesome JY find would be a Lincoln Aviator DOHC engine for cheap; Aluminum block, and C heads with more mellow intake and cams. No, it wont fit under a stock hood. :D I haven't seen anyone swap one of these yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i thought it was '99 + 2v mod engine?
that only applies to mustang gt's......other 2V mod motor vehicles did not get the PI until later, like the crown vics/marquis/towncars

1 - 19 of 19 Posts