TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Code 1443: Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve

Is this the valve on the charcoal canister? I asked around and no one seems to know about it. I figured I'd post it on a few of the boards to possibly troubleshoot it a little better before I go buying things I dont need.....I'm gonna look through my Ford manual today.... TIA if anyone has any info...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same code, for over half a year now...

I found this link: http://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/techinfo/obd2000.pdf and also this link: http://www.sts.sae.org/membersonly/techinfo/obdsm997.pdf

One is for 99model year and one if for 2000 MY. The depressing part is that they display completely different triggers for P1443, and I have a 97MY...

The things I checked so far is: vacuum circuit from throttle body to canister. It's part rubber, part iron, and a lot of connectors. All my connectors were bad, so I replaced those. With a vacuumpump I now can actually hold the vacuum in the line. Code stays, tho.

Also the solenoid holds vacuum with 0V applied. Haven't checked to see if it opens with 12V, that's next. But the two manuals above indicate both that P1443 has to do something with not being able to hold vacuum....

I'll know more after this weekend.

Search the forums for "P1443", there's another guy with our problem....

Ivo

P.S. While you're working on the canister from the wheelcase, remove your air resonator while you're at it :)

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks good info...

that other post has a lot of good info too, and trust me the air resonator has been gone... ask J-Rob about silencer cocktails....

·
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all fixed.....

It was simple, on that other thread someone said they reached behind the headlight, that is ludicrist, take out the fender well (5 screws) and you'll have it out in minutes, no cut wrists either.... I replaced the Evap control valve and the Evap sensor, here are the part numbers if anyone wants to order them, just to save you the grief... I would also get some 5/16" hosing, mine was in good shape so I reused it, but I could see how it could get all cracked on some cars...

Evap Control Valve: E6ZZ-9C915-A
Evap Sensor: F57Z-14A606-BA

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
just wondering, i have a gasoline smell on my '89 behind the passenger side headlight. so i removed my solenoid and tried to pass air through it and it clicked and passed air. So can those canisters become saturated? when i removed the plug for the hose on top of it i smelled the same gasoline i had been smelling. I didn't see any cracked hoses. its not a raw gasoline smell, its changed some. Am i even talking about the same thing as you guys are?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Realizing this thread is 1 1/2 years old how does one determine what is the culpret in the code 1443?? I had Autozone run a scan for me and they feel that code 1443 is the EGR valve itself, and now I am reading that it could be the evap valve or sensor-how do I determine which it is that is causing this code ?? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It is Evaporative emissions, not EGR, they are in no way related.

I replaced all the soft line (it was all split, cracked, hard and soft in spots), the valve and the sensor for the Evap system (which is in the passenger side fenderwell, remove tire and inner fender to get to it) to clear up my P1443 code. My cannister seemed pretty saturated with gas (it smelled like gas 500 times concentrated) but the service manual states this is not a reason for failure or indication of a problem. I haven't had the code come back since replacing the hose and those parts. I replaced both because I had to get an emissions test soon, and didn't really want to mess with changing them one at a time. Searching here might reveal which one is the usual suspect. I also removed my air intake silencer while I had the wheel and inner fender out, good time to do that!

·
Registered
301 Posts
two weeks ago my 1997 TBird had the code 1443 I was sold an EGR valve then read HERE that its not the EGR valve that is throwing the code but the evap sensor and/or valve behind the passengers side headlight.
I have returned the unused EGR valve and am told that only Ford has the evap valve and sensor (THANKS FOR LISTING THE PART NUMBERS!!) but now my light goes on and off sort of on a daily basis-one day its on the next its off-any ideas as to what would cause this?? car has under 69k miles on it . THANKS!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts