TCCoA Forums banner

Thrush Turbo

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Bay_Bird93 
#1 ·
What would be the best setup with the Thrush Turbo muffler. Mid-mount, or stock location? Single or dual out? If dual, should I y-pipe and then run 2 mufflers, or run a single into the muffler then have a dual out muffler and run it back? If I mid-mount it should I run a pipe to the back, or just mid-dump it? If I run a pipe, should I go to the back or out the sides (if dualed)? Should I keep the resonator or ditch it?

#3 ·
Ditch the resonator. I have always been a fan of true duals, but in your case, I would "Y" into 2 into the stock location, then dump them out the sides for the exhaust to exit behind the rear wheels It will look awesome in the winter :D However you'll have pretty much the same tone running a single, but I would still turn them down. That is my opinion.

#4 · (Edited)
How much do you think a muffler shop would charge to put a straight pipe in place of the resonator and put in a y-pipe where a stock one would be?

Edit:
Here's an idea but I don't know if it will work so I need someone to tell me if it will work or not. What if I go to a U-Pull It place and get the exhaust off of a V8 thunderbird, can I put that on my V6? I'd replace the mufflers with the Thrush of course. I would also see if I could trade out my exhaust for it to save me money since it is in good shape.

#6 ·
I had a qoute for true dual straigt pipes, 2 flowmaster 40's, and turn downs for 300. I'd do some shopping around. Some places will do it for cheaper, you just have to find the best price. I went to 4 different places, the first wanting 600 bucks, but stayed at it and found one for 300, and its quality mandrel bent stuff. Just shop around.

#7 ·
I don't think there's enough difference between a V6 exhaust and V8 except for the fake dual look that it'd be worth it.

Run by an exhaust shop and see what they think. I had 2.5" true duals put on my 96 for around $300. I provided the mid-mount resonator (Magnaflow) and the new cats. That shop was in Lincoln - some of the local guys have gone there. Glenn has done good work for us all and I think he's reasonably priced.

-Melon

#9 ·
When I did the exhaust on my SC-swapped 91 - I did the mid-mount and no mufflers at first, which I later changed. I'd say if your going to do it, go mid-mount and then change the mufflers later if you like. It would probably be cheaper later to just change the back part then to go into the middle and change that.

-Melon

#10 ·
I'm not sure I get your reasoning here. You say mid mount the muffler first, and if I like it then change the mufflers later. I don't follow. I would understand removing everything behind the cats, and just having the muffler there with a turn down, then if I like it put all the pipe back in, have a straight pipe in place of the resonator, and have the stock muffler cut out and the new one added.

#11 ·
Ok, I'll try this again...

Re-do the front half - new high flow cats and the thrust turbo muffler (or whatever you decide to go with), dual in/single out and keep the stock mufflers. If you don't like the sound, good or bad - then you can change out the OEM mufflers.

-Melon

#13 ·
If I still had a V6, I'd just find a stock V8 exhaust, replace the third cat "Y" pipe with a simple "Y" (or just empty it out). then replace the stock mufflers with turbos or glasspacks. The V6 isn't going to really "open up" with a free flowing exhaust... and I've heard true dual V6's... they don't sound good.

But then I've always been one to get it done as inexpensively as possible!

#14 ·
Go to the junkyard and see if you get lucky. Ive seen a hand full of SCs already with flowmasters or someother type of exhaust already installed. Thats your cheapest bet.

#15 ·
For a V6 and a tight budget, don't buy more mufflers than you need. A dual-out will work fine; just pick one that will give you the sound level you want. Thrush, Flowmaster, Maganaflow, whatever. If you do a mid-mount in place of the resonator, run the dual pipes out the back to the normal locations. The extra length of pipe will help smooth out the "V6 noise", too. So will sizing up the pipes an extra half-inch for the last foot in the back or putting a turn-down at the end similar to the stock tailpipe. It is possible to make a V6 sound good, it just won't sound like a V8. Short true-dual pipes isn't the way, though.

#16 ·
Well, after all this talking I think I'm just going to leave it alone for now. If I changed it, it may sound good, but then people may think I have a fast car, and that would be misleading. I think I'm going to just save up for something else.

#18 ·
I don't "feel" a huge difference, just a tiny bit, but it breaks loose in the turns easier, and when the pedal is at where I used to be going 40 it's going like 50 or 55. Also, it already seems to be giving me better gas mileage. But I think I may need a new belt like you said. I looks pretty good, but there is a faint squeak that comes from it.

#19 ·
Yeah it was squeaking a tiny bit on my car when I took it off. When I first installed them I felt a small difference top end but I think the best thing is the better MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.