TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thunderbird, Cougar, Mark VIII, Mustang hoodliners

Click on the images to view them larger.

This is a hood liner made of ¼ inch thick closed cell vinyl nitrile foam rubber in the form of a mat, smooth on one side and very durable, effective to over 225 F. It holds up well, much better than the OEM hood pad, keeps the exterior of the hood cool and will not reflect engine heat back down toward your intake. This liner is in one piece with an optional SILVER or RED decal. I currently have the wings decal and will be obtaining the Lincoln logo and the growling Cougar in the circle. If you have any decal ideas let me know and with a jpeg I can come up with something. The decal is applied to the smooth side, it won't come off or slide around, and isn't affected by heat. The decal will be shipped with the liner, and you can install it yourself. Its not hard to place on the liner and instructions are included.

Compare this hood liner to the factory original or factory replacement (if it's even available! Some have been discontinued). This liner is fire retardant, insulates against heat and sound, resistant to oil, chemicals, water and mildew and will not rot but it’s not indestructible. If you pull it too hard or gouge it with a tool it will tear. Handle it carefully. It is washable and comes with a colorful decal. The original liner made out of latex foam is not fire retardant, and somewhat insulates against heat and sound. The original liner is not resistant to oil, chemicals, water and mildew and it will rot and come apart.

Used as a hoodliner/sound barrier/absorber for soundproofing the car engine compartments of cars and trucks, it is also useful for boats, (won't absorb moisture) and RVs and their generator compartments. Gives a better appearance than the stock foam hoodliner.

If you have a show car or enter your car in shows my liner will set your engine bay apart from the others. If your car is a daily driver this liner will still make your underhood look great! It adds a cleaner look to your engine compartment.

The liner is hand cut to fit our cars and for now I can offer them for 1987 to 1997 Thunderbirds and Cougars, 1997/1998 Lincoln Mark VIIIs, and 1987 to 1998 Mustangs. I will have the templates for the 1987/1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupes and 1993 to 1996 Lincoln Mark VIIIs in the near future. I can also conceivably make these for ANY car as long as I have an original liner to work from. Installation is easy using 3M #80 spray adhesive for vinyl nitrile foam rubber, found at Home Depot. 3M #80 adhesive is the ONLY spray-on adhesive recommended for this liner as it stands up to the heat. Use of any other adhesive can cause the liner to sag or come loose, interfering with throttle linkage, pulleys, fan belts, engine components, etc.

This is not a "one-size-fits-all", I have several different templates available to me to make liners for each body style of Thunderbird and Cougar. The 1987 and 1988 models shared the same liner, as did the 1989 through 1993, the 1994 and 1995, and finally the 1996 and 1997 models. The images here are of my own personal 1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition, shown so you may see how they look.

As seen in the images I have this liner installed on my own 1997 Ford Thunderbird Limited Edition, with the decal, and it holds up well, much better than the OEM hood pad. It keeps the exterior of the hood cool and will not reflect engine heat back down toward your intake. It's actually made for covering the firewall and bulkheads in aircraft, is FAA approved, and as such must stand up to forces and temperature fluctuations that our cars don't experience.

One of the biggest sound problems with a vehicle’s noise reduction is that sound is coming right up through the hood and then through the windshield. (Because glass is almost transparent to sound!) Car engine noise mixed with road noise blows right through into the passenger compartment. Auto generated sound is mostly low frequency, one of the hardest sounds to block or absorb.

Remove the hood, (mark your bolt mountings) remove/discard all the old insulation. If you have the plastic hood tabs pry them up gently with a putty knife in a back-and-forth twisting motion while prying up. Place hood on a worktable with the underside up. Clean the hood underside thoroughly; “Simple Green” and a soft bristle brush and rags/paper towels work well. Rinse it with a hose and drain the excess water, towel dry or let the hood dry off for about 20 minutes. Test fit the liner dry to line it up with the hood and the fastener holes. It’s pre-cut to fit without trimming but if you stretch it, don't worry, you can trim it off at the bottom. Mask off areas to protect from overspray. Apply the 3M #80 adhesive to both material and hood. Apply and press down well. If mechanical fasteners were used on the original material, reuse them if possible. Trimming (if needed) can be done with a sharp Exacto knife.

Hoodliner material can also be used on metal surfaces such as trunk areas and door panels, where reverberation is a problem in high-end sound installations, greatly reducing road noise!

Please note, I can feasibly make hoodliner heat shields for ANY type of vehicle, I could use an original liner as a template! How about you guys in the Fox body Mustang community 1987 - 1993, other year Mustangs, or you Crown Vic and Marauder guys?

Keep in mind that if you were to find factory hoodliners/insulation pads they would run anywhere from $70 to $90 or more depending on model year and availability. They wouldn't have the same quality as these and will become dirty with time.

I accept PayPal, check, or money order. If paying by check I will ship the liner out when your check clears.

Don’t pass up your chance to install this great hoodliner on your car! Thanks for looking and if you have any questions please ask!

Hand-made/hand-cut hoodliner made from the material used in aircraft: $85.00

Decal if desired: $15.00

Shipping: $13.00

OFFERED FOR:

1986 to 1997 Thunderbirds and Cougars - Let me know if your '96 has a hood light! I can now offer for the 1987/1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe liners!
1987 to 1992 Lincoln Mark VIIs and 1993 to 1998 Lincoln Mark VIIIs
1979 to 2009 Mustangs - includes the '79 to '82 Pace Cars, the '84 to '86 SVO and '96 through '98 Mustang Cobra
1992 to 1997 Ford Crown Vics and Mercury Grand Marquis
1989 to 1997 Ford Probes
1982 to 1987 Buick Grand Nationals and Turbo Regals
1981 to 1988 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
1987 to 1991 BMW 325i
1979 to 1983 Fiat Type 124
1998 to 2002 Toyota Corolla (my father-in-law wanted one!)

Other models coming soon.

Trunk pieces will go for $40, decals would look nice back there too! For the trunk liner, the most feasible way to do this would be to tell me what length and width of material you need and I'll send it to you. You can cut them to fit on your cars using an X-Acto knife. I've compared several Thunderbird and Cougar trunks and the actual contours of the trunks vary from year to year.

These hoodliners are VERY popular with the Porsche 928/911/944, Alfa Romeo, Triumph, MG, etc guys. I've been helping a friend make these for those brands and now I am offering these liners to the MN-12 community.

Contact me via PM or my e-mail address of [email protected] if you'd like one.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For right now all I can cut are the stock hoods as I have templates for these. I can most likely make and cut one for your hoods if I had the hood in front of me or had a template for it. I also wouldn't want to block a functioning hood scoop, although I could go around it and cut an opening for it.

For engines with blowers and pulleys this would work too as long as you have the stock hood. This liner is attached to the hood underside and stays put with the adhesive. It's not stiff like the factory one and there are no loose areas as long as it's installed correctly.

I'm not limiting these liners to just our MN-12s, if Mustang guys out there want one then I'd like to make them for your rides as well. Any car, in fact.

I've gotten compliments on my liner, by the way.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bear with me on the trunk liners, have yet to make a template and the only one I have to go on is my '97. There's a lot of local Detroit area guys who are part of this forum but I really don't meet up with them to see if their trunk lids are similar to mine.

As far as airbrushing I suppose so, but will the paint stand up to the temps in there? These decals are vinyl and hold up. As far as designs, if you have a jpeg of something by all means I'll consider it to see if it can translate over to a vector graphic image. Here are the images for the Cougars and Lincolns, available in silver or red. If I had the "LINCOLN MARK VIII" logo that's under the hood of the Mark VIIIs then I can do that too.

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
wow this is an awesome idea I wish I had the 95 to blow on it, I hope I can afford to blow the cash before its no longer possible to get one. Like many things Tbird you got to get before it gone.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi splattered, don't worry, I'll be making these for a long time! I hand-cut them myself and I'm definitely an MN-12 guy!

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
awesome I know this will be on my mind when a new hotter engine goes in, I will get back to you when that happens. I live in AZ where it can get 130 on the surface of your car and your hood can fry an egg.

·
Registered
900 Posts
im interested in the hoodliner for the mark viii, i have a gen 2, so when you have those availble id love to get one, i think in your first post you said you dont have a pattern for those yet, if you want i could probly come by sometime if you need a hood for a pattern, im located downriver, heck that'd save the 10 bucks for shipping for me too

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi Ainline - If you want to meet up just say the word, I could use your original liner for a template. I'm not against saving on shipping for the local guys, I live in Westland.

I work 10 AM to 7 PM Monday to Friday in Dearborn so I'm free after 7 PM and on weekends.

Were you thinking of an emblem as well? If you have line art or a photo send it along to my e-mail!

·
Registered
900 Posts
yea that'd be cool, i could come by and then you could have a template to use for the gen 2 mark vii's at least, im not sure where the shop is exactly, if you want pm the address and i can mapquest it

im free after 7 monday through thursday, and weekends after 3 so just whatever day works

i was thinking of just using the lincoln star emblem, or maybe even the cobrastar that lincolnmotorsport uses a lot

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The Lincoln star emblem would look great, so would the CobraStar but I'm sure that one was created by someone specifically for their own personal use and I wouldn't want to anger someone over it.

I'm in the vicinity of Cherry Hill and Wayne Rds in Westland. I'll PM you soon! Realize that the hood has to come off to install it properly!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'd be interested in one for a 2nd Gen Mark VIII. Cobra star would be neat if you can use it.

Thomas

·
Registered
900 Posts
i could ask geno from lincolnmotorsports if we could use the cobrastar, i believe they own the rights if there are any to the logo, if we met up on a wednesday or thursday night you could take as long as you want as i dont have anything going on the following mornings, or on weekends ive got plenty of time after three, tho if it doesnt take long any night other than friday would still work

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure, ask Geno and see what he thinks, another option would be to just grab a vinyl decal directly from him. Maybe he'd like a hoodliner for his ride too? By all means send him this link, I'd be honored.

The wings outstretched decal is 20 inches long. Dunno how tall a CobraStar emblem could be, perhaps around 16-20 inches tall? Vinyl works great and withstands the heat in there!

Later this week would work great! I'll let you know! Can't wait to help you guys out with your rides! I'm telling you, the Porsche guys are loving these liners, why not the MN-12 guys too?

·
Registered
900 Posts
talked to geno, this is his response "You can use it just for a one off no reproductions for sale..etc. Ok? If thats cool nthen yes."

so it sounds like to actually get a cobrastar then ud have get the vinyl from him, i can check with him to see if he could make something that would work, if not then the lincoln star will still be great

1 - 20 of 111 Posts