TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anywhere i can get direct fit headers from for a 4.6 bird?? ive been thinking about that for my next engine mod, but im having a hard time finding a set.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Don't be tempted to buy those $75 JBA shorty headers. They crack. The only real option is Kooks mid length headers. Be ready to spend 6-8 c-notes.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but how crap are the JBA's? I aquired a set a little while back with some PI swap parts and was going to throw them on just for whatever minimal gains I might get, but Im not so tempted if they are liable to crack on me down the road.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
Get with Tbirdbrain. at braincoating.com He sells ported and coated stock headers that work very well and are a great, reasonably priced alternative to the much more expensive KOOKS.

There's no beating mid-length headers for flow or sound. But, as discussed above, it comes at a price. And to answer the next most likely question, No, you can't just get Mustang headers because the steering shaft to the Rack & Pinion configuration is different for a Thunderbird and Mustang headers are a different configuration.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The JBA/SS Autochrome headers have been reported to flow worse than stock manifolds.

I certainly wouldn't risk spending the money to have them ceramic coated only to see them crack anyway.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The JBA/SS Autochrome headers have been reported to flow worse than stock manifolds.

I certainly wouldn't risk spending the money to have them ceramic coated only to see them crack anyway.
Really? See thats the first time Ive heard it go that way, from what I understood they have minimal gains over stock manifolds, about the same as ported manifolds.

I wouldnt doubt it though as I have never seen any proof on the subject, and havent looked into it far enough to know for sure.

Well that kinda stinks then I guess, might have to try and sell some stuff and get some Kooks. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts