TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my summer project.

I just got a 165k 91 SC with a 5 spd. My plan is to make this car a fast a possible with my budget.

I am planning to use 5.0 power. Nothing fancy just strait up carbureted POWER. For now I am planning on going with Trick flow heads and about 11:1 compression. Emissions are not a concern

I have some questions and would like to gather opinions.

First: What year 302 should I be looking for. I believe 89 - 93 were the strongest.

Second: I don’t think my Mazda trans is going to bolt up. What is my cheapest option? T-5 swap, conversion plate?

Third: Any heads up on problems that I am overlooking. As far as I now this should be a fairly strait forward deal especially with not messing with the electronics.

Thank you
Karl

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
why not work on the sc engine, its faster than the 302 at stock form

and as Aaron K. said, it will bolt up, just need a few things like f-150 flywheel and starter

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that is great news. Mabey I am wrong but the SC motor would be very expensive and less reliable in the 450 - 500 HP range then a 302.

Karl

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
What kind of a power adder are you planning on using to make that kind of power? Sounds like a nitrous motor to me. At those levels, you are starting to reach the limits of the stock block in a hurry too.

The M5R2 will bolt up to the 5.0 no problem. Grab a flywheel from an F-150 and you should be good to go.

John

·
Registered
397 Posts
I heard the mexican 5.0 block is the strongest, but I could be wrong. Check on some stang boards. They're pretty big into 5.0s and should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to go motor alone. I heard the stock 5.0 is a beast and should be able to take it.

Karl

·
Registered
154 Posts
Go with a 347 stroker kit, if you want to stick with the 302, they have brand new 302 blocks in summit for I think a few hundred bucks. The 289/302 hasn't changed much in the years its been around, almost everything is interchangeable engine wise.

Another option would be a 351w. The only diff is the deck height on the 351(manifold).

I think http://www.advanceadapters.com has kits to throw 429/460 BIG BLOCKS into just about anything:D if it was me I'd go for big block power OOOHHHH YAHHHH

Also if you can, go with an automatic they can handle more power and better track times.

Just my .02

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
the 87-92 HO motors have forged pistons from the factory. Best motors 302 wise for the money are the explorers 96-98

·
Super Moderator
3,581 Posts
Just to clarify a few things here:

1. Mexican blocks were non-roller 302's, not 5.0's. I know that seems a little confusing but keep in mind that we are talking two different generations of Ford small blocks here.

2. Summit no longer sells the short blocks because Ford stopped making them. They may still advertise them like Jegs does but you can't get them the last time I checked.

3. If you are looking to take any kind of stock 5.0 engine and hoping to get 400-450HP out of it you are crazy. If it is a used engine then you are even crazier.

The Trick Flow heads are pretty awesome (as are AFR, Edlebrock, etc.) but they aren't miracle workers. Getting 450HP out a 302 cu. in. engine isn't an easy task going NA. The stock crank and rods won't stand up to the kind of RPMs you have to turn to get that kind of HP.

Stroking that engine is defintely a great idea but it does turn into a good bit more money and it definitely makes more sense to go with someone like Coast High Performance or Keithcraft or someone like that and get a 347 stroker short block and then put the heads on it from there. You will be ahead in the end. You will also need to have that transmission beefed up to handle the HP.

Having been there myself recently, I can tell you that getting a lot of HP running NA is not cheap or easy really.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts