TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has an 86 t-bird with a bad rearend. my husband has a 7.5 rear from a 84 mustang gt that is still good. will the mustang rear fit in the 86 t-bird, say the control arms and shock mounting points are the same? someone told him that the t-bird rear is 3/4 longer at the axle tubes, is that correct?

any help is greatful.

thanks, jamye

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
tbirdgirl94 said:
my friend has an 86 t-bird with a bad rearend. my husband has a 7.5 rear from a 84 mustang gt that is still good. will the mustang rear fit in the 86 t-bird, say the control arms and shock mounting points are the same? Someone told him that the t-bird rear is 3/4 longer at the axle tubes, is that correct?

any help is greatful.

thanks, jamye
I think that is correct. When I installed a Mustang SVO rear end in my 85 TurboCoupe I had to use 3/4" spacers for proper wheel placement. But it did bolt in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Mustang rear will bolt in. It's slightly narrower than the stock 86' T-Bird rear. You could use it as-is but would be closer to stock dimensions with small spacers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
so everything should work out, im the guy thats gettin the rear end lol, her husband also has some rims with diff backspacing that would set it out more, might run two different rims so it looks right till i can get the spacers, hopefully it all works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts