TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a set of 16x7 wheels from my '93 SC for use on my '97 T-Bird. Even though I can run the flat SC center caps I kind of like the exposed lug nut cap they used on the 96/97 Sport wheels. I have not been able to find and Sport wheel center caps. What I have found is a cap from a similar era Taurus that looks like the same thing. Does anybody know if the Taurus center caps are the same as the Sport center caps? I see a lot of people asking if the SC center caps will fit on the Sport wheels, but I've never heard of anybody asking if the Sport center caps will work on the SC wheels. I am assuming they will fit. Do the Sport center caps use the lugs to hold it in place or does the retaining ring on the inside of the cap do that?

·
Administrator
8,208 Posts
The Sport caps are the same as the Taurus caps. The cap is held in place by the ring on the back. The only difference I know of is the SC rim has the notch to pop off the center cap while the Sport rim does not.

Joe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clarification Joe. I'll get some of the Taurus center caps. One thing I did notice from hours of scouring the internet is that the SuperCoupe wheels have three tangs cast into the center section to retain the center cap whereas the Sport wheels appear to have five. Hopefully the Taurus center caps hold on with fewer tangs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the Taurus/Sport center caps installed on the SC wheels on Saturday. They don't feel quite as secure as the flat center caps, but they haven't fallen off yet nor do they appear to rattle at all. The center caps have five tangs that match up with the five tangs cast into the Sport wheels. They don't line up as well with the three tangs on the SC wheels, but the center caps do have a retaining wire as well to hold them in place. I have no idea why they changed the casting just for 96/97. Seems like it would have been easier to just use the same SC center caps on the wheels and leave it alone.

I'll give them some time and if they stay on then I will get some capped lug nuts to go along with them. On an unrelated note, the Rustoleum silver wheel paint is a shockingly close match to the original wheel color. I was expecting to have to paint the center caps, but they look pretty good as-is so I think I will leave them alone for now.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,477 Posts
From our perspective it’s a huge hassle, but for a large manufacturer it’s a simple modification to an existing casting die, and they can save a few bucks using up inventory of more widely produced center Taurus caps.

+1 to the wheel paint. I used that same can on my valve covers and they dead on match the argent on one of my original leftover centercaps

·
Administrator
8,208 Posts
I'll give them some time and if they stay on then I will get some capped lug nuts to go along with them.
The lugs will hold them in place. If you check out the center caps, there's a lip there where the lug nut goes and it's almost like they put it there to have the lugs hold it in place.

Joe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From our perspective it’s a huge hassle, but for a large manufacturer it’s a simple modification to an existing casting die, and they can save a few bucks using up inventory of more widely produced center Taurus caps.
I get that. I used to work with OEMs on the engineering side. It is still weird to me. They had something that worked already done and paid for. Some purchasing guy must have bought way too many Taurus center caps :oops:

The lugs will hold them in place. If you check out the center caps, there's a lip there where the lug nut goes and it's almost like they put it there to have the lugs hold it in place.

Joe
Well they held for about 42 hours. I was coming home from a job late last night. I had the passenger window down. Going down a smooth road and I hear this "ting-ting". I thought, I know what that is. I got home and sure enough the right rear cap had come off. My exposed lug nuts from the chrome fan blades don't really hold the caps on. In fact I snapped them on with the lugs on and they did go on all the way. I was contemplating getting some lugs with the external threads on them so you can screw a plastic cap over them to retain them. I am assuming the factory sport lugnuts were acorn (capped) style, but trying to find exact info on them is semi-difficult.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two down two to go. LOL. Lost another one on the way home from work the other day. I'm on the lookout for a decent set of solid center caps that can be refinished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts