TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GREAT IDEA! MY MARKVIII(1995) HAS BAD STRUTS IN THE FRONT. I JUST SAW A PAIR OF STRUTS ONA 1990 COUGAR FOR $60 AT THE JYD.

IF THIS WILL BOLT STRAIGHT ON, I CAN USE THESE UNTIL I GET THE CASH TO BUY NEW AIR STRUTS1

ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS A DIRECT BOLT ON???

OK IF NOT 90 COUGAR, WHAT YEAR COUGAR OR T-BIRD WILL DIRECTLY BOLT ON TO A 1995 MARKVIII?

PLEASE ADVISE!
tHANKS!

dAVE

·
Registered
117 Posts
pretty sure ...

if you get the whole assembly , bolt right on, no problem, someone is now making a spring replacement for the marks, as a new part, looks nice,
its also possible to put springs in the back as well,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean whole assembly?
the strut and spring or you mean control arms everything?

dave

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
It's not a strut...

just because it is inside the spring doesn't make it a strut. to be classified as a strut, it has to part of the steering mechanism. Take a look at your front suspension...it is not effected by turning the wheel. It is therefore a shock.

If you want to be really cheap about it, poke around a mark8 the next time you see one parked. You should be able to see a difference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
yes avr

i meant the shock spring assembly,
but like someone said, what about the rear ? how you gonna keep air in the bags in back and have springs in front ?
you'd have to do the whole car

·
Banned
154 Posts
Front Suspension on M8

Try buying the front struts from a V8 equipped vehicle if possible and hope theyre not blown, a 1990 is much older than your M8.
There are differences in springs on the various MN12 so it may sit lower than another would with the weight of a 32V engine.
Your height sensors may or may not be affected by this; if so you could re-adjust them. The Air suspension will only turn the compressor on when a valve is open which is determined by the sensors.
You will also need to move your valves somewhere out of the way.
As for the rear, it is also possible to install springs, but you may need a custom piece to create a spring pocket for the top, or weld something in to hold it in place.
www.markviii.org has information if you are looking to modify your suspension.
Otherwise, you should replace your Air struts with rebuilt ones.
- Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts