TCCoA Forums banner

Thunderbird Window Mouldings

34K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  XR7-4.6 
#1 · (Edited)
I put together a few diagrams to show everyone what all the Window Mouldings are called, and where they are found on the 89-97 Thunderbird..

This should save us all some time..

:thumbsup:

1997 Ford Thunderbird Windshield Moulding-F7SZ-6303144-AAA (Discontinued)

89-96 Ford Thunderbird Windshield Moulding-E9SZ-6303144-A9G (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Roof Drip Moulding[Passenger Side Front]-F1SZ-6351728-A (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Roof Drip Moulding[Driver Side Front]-F1SZ-6351729-A (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Roof Drip Moulding[Passenger Side Rear]-F1SZ-6351728-A (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Roof Drip Moulding[Driver Side Rear]-F1SZ-6351729-A (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Window Channel[Driver Side]-F5SZ-6321597-A (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Window Channel[Passenger Side]- F5SZ-6321596-A (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Door Belt Weatherstrip[Driver Side]-E9SZ-6321453-A (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Door Belt Weatherstrip[Passenger Side]-E9SZ-6321452-A (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Back Glass Moulding[Upper]-E9SZ-6342430-A9G (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Back Glass Moulding[Lower]-E9SZ-6342404-A9G (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Wiper Arm[Driver Side]-F5SZ-17527-AA (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Wiper Arm[Passenger Side]-F5SZ-17526-AA (Discontinued)

89-93 Ford Thunderbird Wiper Cowl[Passenger Side]-F1SZ-63018A16-A (Discontinued)

89-93 Ford Thunderbird Wiper Cowl[Driver Side]-F1SZ-63018A17-A (Discontinued)

94-97 Ford Thunderbird Wiper Cowl[Passenger Side]-F6SZ-63018A16-AAA (Discontinued)

94-97 Ford Thunderbird Wiper Cowl[Driver Side]-F3SZ-63018A17-A (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Body Side Stripe Kit~B-Pillar Stickers~[Both Sides]-E9SZ-6320000-A9G (Discontinued)

89-92 Ford Thunderbird Quarter Glass Moulding~Chrome Trim~[Driver Side]-E9SZ-6329711-B (Discontinued)

89-92 Ford Thunderbird Quarter Glass Moulding~Chrome Trim~[Passenger Side]-E9SZ-6329710-B (Discontinued)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Quarter Glass Moulding[Driver Side]-F4SZ-6329711-A (Available)

89-97 Ford Thunderbird Quarter Glass Moulding[Passenger Side]-F4SZ-6329710-A (Available)

Rayo..

See less See more
#4 ·
Ray,

Any chance of digging up the part numbers for the quarter glass moldings with the chrome for the earlier models? I know the parts are discontinued but would like to add to the list.

Joe

#5 ·
Np..I went ahead, and added some other useful Ford Part Numbers for the earlier Thunderbirds as well..

These Part Numbers should be useful as our cars age, and we're looking for those rare parts..

By the way..Thanks for Stickying this..

:thumbsup:

Rayo..

#7 ·
At least if you have the part #s at hand..You can order NOS off Ebay or wherever...

Jason FordPartsCounter has been a reliable source for me for Ford Parts for awhile..

He's pretty good at tracking down some of the discontinued stuff as well..

Rayo..

#13 ·
B-Pillar Paint Code

IIRC Ford did away with the Vinyl Tape on the B-Pillars starting in 94..

Of course I've heard of some MN12's with the Vinyl Tape, and some with paint.. :zdunno:

As far as the paint goes..When Ford started painting the B-Pillars..They used Paint Code YGYA..

I cross referenced this with the PPG paint codes..The PPG Paint Code for the B-Pillar is 9741..

Oh here's a link to the YGYA paint in an aerosol can--->>89-97 MN12 B-Pillar Paint

Rayo..

#14 ·
Any satin black trim paint will do. I used DupliColor Black Trim paint I got from the local auto parts store, it's held up well. I scuffed the surface with a scotchbrite pad before painting.

#18 ·
The Door Belt Weatherstrip like many of the black rubber/plastic exterior mouldings are prone to UV damage..

When they start to break down from UV damage..They will give off a black residue on your detailing towel..

Usually what I do when I'm detailing my Thunderbird is..Save all the cleaning of the black rubber/plastic exterior mouldings for last..

Then apply Mothers Back to Black on them..It's smeary so try to keep it on the trim/mouldings only..

I've been using the stuff for years on everything from interior to exterior black rubber/plastic pieces with great success..

As you can see most of the Thunderbird Mouldings have been discontinued so prolonging the life of them is highly recommended..

Once you start applying the Back to Black regularly you'll notice after a few times the luster of these pieces returning to what they looked like originally..

The black residue that you get on your detailing towel will never go away completely when cleaning these bits..

But the Back to Black will help preserve them, and lessen the black residue you see on your detailing towels or clothes in your case..

Rayo..

#21 ·
Thanks, Rayo. I did exactly as you said and everything worked perfectly. The alcohol cleaned the old wax from the roof drip molding, and did a super job of cleaning the door belt weather stripping before I applied the Back to Black. :)

#22 ·
Moulding

I just purchased another 97 LX. The first one is Pacific Green - this one is Dark Blue (haven't checked the code yet.

The trim is black but showing chrome underneath where the black is coming off. Was this another option or is there something different on this car?

It also has V8 badges on the front fenders which do not usually appear on 97's. I'm guessing the front fenders / front end has been replaced. The front bumper cover has obviously been repainted.

#23 ·
The coating on the trim is just coming off, exposing the metal underneath. No special option on these. The V8 emblems were probably added by a previous owner.

Joe

#24 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did find the factory part number on the left fender so I now know it is not a replacement. I need 2 doors and a right fender and found some in my local pick ur parts yard, but they are 94 or 95 models. I think the only difference is the 96-97 models have more holes for the wider body cladding. Am I correct? Can I use the earlier models and just drill additional holes for the cladding?

Thanks

#25 ·
Drip rail help '97

I have a ’97 Bird 4.6, purchased new, driven daily, well-maintained and still loved. I am in Florida and have no garage or carport, so after 18 years of tropical sun I need to get it painted. The roof drip molding on both sides started to curl upward starting at door edge, it is stiff and will not go back down regardless of glue, silicone or epoxy. Pieces have curled back and broken off. I need to fix before painting.

Have the part numbers above (Thank you!) but of course they are long extinct. Due to age and composition of plastic it does not seem like a removable item from a parts yard.

Has anyone found a generic molding to cover the seam? Ebay is littered with chrome and fake carbon fiber strips, but they are thin adhesives made to go on top of existing moldings. The moldings are about 1/2 inch wide and fairly flat. Every aftermarket type I have found is larger.

Thanks
Barry

#26 ·
I have a ’97 Bird 4.6, purchased new, driven daily, well-maintained and still loved. I am in Florida and have no garage or carport, so after 18 years of tropical sun I need to get it painted. The roof drip molding on both sides started to curl upward starting at door edge, it is stiff and will not go back down regardless of glue, silicone or epoxy. Pieces have curled back and broken off. I need to fix before painting.

Have the part numbers above (Thank you!) but of course they are long extinct. Due to age and composition of plastic it does not seem like a removable item from a parts yard.

Has anyone found a generic molding to cover the seam? Ebay is littered with chrome and fake carbon fiber strips, but they are thin adhesives made to go on top of existing moldings. The moldings are about 1/2 inch wide and fairly flat. Every aftermarket type I have found is larger.

Thanks
Barry
I think SuperCoupePerformance.com has the rear window moldings.

#27 ·
Thanks for listing this out with the pictures, very helpful.

In regards to the back glass moulding (upper) and windshield moulding, is there a way to refurbish the rubber parts of them? My car has ratty mouldings (the windshield one feels rough and the back glass one is disintegrating, almost looks like shredded white fiberglass). I got a replacement back glass moulding off a junker but I don't think Back To Black will be enough (would be happy to be wrong about that). I was hoping there was an industry way of dealing with the rubber coating, sort of like re-chroming a bumper. If there is a shop or facility that I can ship them to so that they can be repaired, that would be ideal. I know what a long-shot that sounds like.

#29 ·
I was thinking more some sort of spray-on treatment or chemical or something to "revitalize" them. I just found a couple of them at a Pick-Your-Part that are better than what's on my car. Not great or like new, but noticeably better. I wonder if there is some sort of goo that can be applied to them so that they stay pliable, black and solid (don't disintegrate).

#30 ·
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I need some advice.

I have a 91 Thunderbird LX with chrome trim pieces surrounding the windows. A few weeks back my sweater got caught on the quarter window trim while getting out of the car and it pulled the chrome trim off. I tried to glue it back on but because it's bend, it's impossible to keep it on. So I bit the bullet and pulled everything off. After some light sanding and aside from some pinholes in the rubber underneath the trim, which can easily be filled, It doesn't look all that bad IMO.

I'm thinking of pulling the chrome trim off of the front side windows too, but I'm not sure this will give the same result. it seems to be mounted differently.
Does anyone here have experience with it?

An other option is leaving it on and spray painting it black. What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.