TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my Dad's doing some cleaning of his hot rod magazines when I came accross this. It's an article from Super Ford mag. in 1995. There was a company called Supercharger Specialties that transformed a 4.6 '94 T'bird into something called a Thunderhawk. Apperently it could be ordered thru certain dealers at the time. Anybody ever here of these, or have seen one? Just curious :D

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
nice car.

but the wheels look like ***.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Well, someone should have told them that you could get rear disc with all Birds as long as you want ABS in 94-95 and the V8 actually made 205hp not 210 like stated. That would be a sweet car to own. This article should be in the multimedia section of this site.

·
Registered
507 Posts
aside from the wheels and the rediculus hood, i'd take it

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Alright, first off, the 4.6 first appeared on the 94 bird, not the 93--I guess you could say they're right, since, in 1993 you could have purchased a new 1994 4.6 bird :) And the other thing "The boost guage is not available on cars optioned with a graphic equilizer" Um? That was an option? when? who bought it? ugly wheels....did custom wheels just suck in the early-mid 90s? (I don't remember)

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
awesome, and the tri-spoke wheel was teh hot shlt back then, almost everybody had them in high school, i still like them, :leftright

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
chorizon said:
awesome, and the tri-spoke wheel was teh hot shlt back then, almost everybody had them in high school, i still like them, :leftright
Your older than me though....you remember, I don't....really....reamember. I remember those custom wheels that all looked the same, had a solid lug covering center that said like "EAGLE" or something....with a wierd little lock on it....everyone had those...nasty!

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
panthers, that's what they called them. most of them were made by eagle.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Gotta agree, as much as I like the concept (Blower, power, etc) the hood and wheels are really ugly. Surely they could have gotten that blower to fit better or at least in a better location? has anyone here got a paxton on thier car?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Paxton and Novi's are a pita to install. all the 4.6 stangs i've seen with them put them near the coolant tank, or something weird like that..

fittin them in the birdie a little tougher

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with you guys. The hood and wheels definatetly leave alot to be desired. And the guy who did the write up should of known the car he was writing about. I think that, since it was early '95 and there was little or nothing available for the 4.6 T'bird, maybe they wanted to be "first on the block". And in the process, did a crappy job to be first to the punch. I was curious to see what you guys thought of it :D .

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I've always hated those wheels since I first saw them in the early '90s. I recall this one Mustang GT in my area had those wheels on his car for about 8 years... They ruined the look of it. Hell, even 10-holes would have looked better.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Uncaged 94 said:
I think that, since it was early '95 and there was little or nothing available for the 4.6 T'bird .
Its 2005 and there is nothing available for the 4.6 T'bird. Im glad that they did not put a bulge in the hood of an SC or anything or there might not have been any Birds sold. As much as the bulge does not look right, it was still a great idea. The writer did mention that it was "Talonesque" as in the Eagle Talon DOHC that had the bulge. I really don't see them fitting something like that anywhere else without modifing much of the engine bay. That one looks untouched and unmodified other than the blower.

·
Registered
817 Posts
agreed, the wheels suck ***, but in the early 90's, the best place to find rims were sears and pep boys, wasnt until the whole carmod craze do we now have wheel/tire shops that have huge selections of rims for any number of lug patterns.

nice bird too, but i could do without the signature 95-99 2g dsm hump hood on a tbird. and at that time, im sure there were SC's that couldve fit without a special hood.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
sure there where setups that would have fit under the hood a little better, but there was probably no R&D into what could actually be done to these cars...it was only a little over a 5 year old platform at the time.....I remember even back in 00 when I had my bird...it was mostly midwest/southern guys on this webiste....NOBODY from the west coast (I was about the only one) And it seems like now there are a lot more people modding these cars sccessfully...why? becuase now people understand the MN12, and what they can do with it to make it better.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
lightevergreenfrost said:
Its 2005 and there is nothing available for the 4.6 T'bird. Im glad that they did not put a bulge in the hood of an SC or anything or there might not have been any Birds sold. As much as the bulge does not look right, it was still a great idea. The writer did mention that it was "Talonesque" as in the Eagle Talon DOHC that had the bulge. I really don't see them fitting something like that anywhere else without modifing much of the engine bay. That one looks untouched and unmodified other than the blower.

you do realize that because of common engineering, there is actually a buttload of aftermarket engine parts available for our motors, right? they just cost more than the typical ebay civic intake tube.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I was meanins specifically for the 4.6 Bird. We have to use modified Mustang parts. I bet that Thunderhawk thing did not work out because they changed the intake in '96 which would have meant some modifying of the set up. Plus interest in the Bird really started to drop in the mid 90's due to SUV's, or so they say.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts