Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Details!

Whatcha got there?

·
Banned
575 Posts
I see ur finally puting that trans in..
Is that the one you got off a member yet?
Looking forward to following ur thread again.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I purchased a lightly used BCA build trans from skinnytick here last fall. It was reportedly built to handle 500 hp at the tires. The trans has the tail lube mod, and I am picking up a few extra fittings to add in a sensor for a temp gauge.

I am also sending my dirty dog converter to ATF Speed in Miami to have them open it up and clean out any possible debris.

Also tackling a few small things like hood pins, autometer gauges and door hinge bushings.

·
Banned
575 Posts
I purchased a lightly used BCA build trans from skinnytick here last fall. It was reportedly built to handle 500 hp at the tires. The trans has the tail lube mod, and I am picking up a few extra fittings to add in a sensor for a temp gauge.

I am also sending my dirty dog converter to ATF Speed in Miami to have them open it up and clean out any possible debris.

Also tackling a few small things like hood pins, autometer gauges and door hinge bushings.
Not too long ago I seen on here someone was selling a filled 3 pod pillar mount

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Not too long ago I seen on here someone was selling a filled 3 pod pillar mount
I did see that. I am pretty picky about what gauges I want to use, and those did not line up with what I wanted. I'm also going to mount the gauges below the radio. The ricers and the diesel bros killed the look of the pillar mount for me, at least for now. If I'm able to go all the way with the power on my build down the road, I'll probably go that route.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts

I'll be interested to hear what ATF finds in that converter. Please keep us posted. Which DD converter do you have?SS

Edit: N/M I see it in your signature. 4,200 Stall. Is it the 9.5" billet, same as mine?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Attachments

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have my car back on the road, and it is performing well.

I have been getting used to the new setup. It took a few days to get used to driving with such a big converter. When the converter is unlocked during mild to moderate acceleration, the rpm’s will jump to 3,500 before any power is applied. This changes the style in which I have to drive, but the 4.10 gears compliment the need for engine speed when menuvering around in traffic.

Cruising rpm’s are now 2,300 at 60 and 3,000 at 80. Thankfully, my commute and pleasure driving does not have to involve the freeway.

At the drag strip last Saturday I bested a 13.992 at 96 mph with a 1.85 60 foot. And this was in 85 degree heat. All other passes were in the low 14.0’s. I had the drag radials aired down to 22 pounds. I never had issues with tire spin.

Thanks to the overkill gears, converter, and 215 wide worn bf goodie street tires, this car will now smoke the tires from a standstill all the way into third gear. It’s pretty friggin sweet. I have left a few set of streaks in the road that I am pretty proud of. ;)

Pictures of the car to come.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
That's about as fast as mine was on gas. It ran 13.825 at 98.94 mph. I had 3.73's, a modified PI triple disk modified by Dirty Dog, Trick Flow heads, stock exhaust and stock PI intake. I never got a time slip on E85 though. It's a shame, because that car was a meaner animal on the corn. We never got to revise the gas tune, it would smack the rev limiter for a second on the 1-2 shift. Having 2nd gear lock up is a blast! I miss my setup dearly, but life happens. Keep it up man. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I got another piece of the performance puzzle- a rear end built to handle big power. This was put together by Black_Cat and the highlights include full delrin bushings and DSS axle shafts.

The two things I want to change are swapping to 4:10 gears and exchanging the cast iron lower control arms for aluminum ones.

I’ve seen conflicting reports on wether I can swap the bushings from the iron arms to the aluminum arms. Can anyone verify if they are the same?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
Congrats on the buy! Have fun getting the original one out lol

If the bushings don't have sleeves they likely wont work on the aluminum arms, the diameter is different.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Congrats on the buy! Have fun getting the original one out lol

If the bushings don't have sleeves they likely wont work on the aluminum arms, the diameter is different.
How about sleeved bushings for the 89 stamped arms ?? I suppose I could go and measure the parts I have here, but that's no fun. :wink2:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I know that the OEM LCA inner bushings are not the same between the cast iron and cast aluminum arms. I also know that I have used the same polyurethane bushings in both (retaining the shell on the iron arm). I can measure them if necessary.

·
Super Moderator
16,828 Posts
I’m under the impression that the delrin bushings are made to the diameter of the specific LCAs, with no sleeve for the iron ones. If that’s the case the bushings for the iron ones will be larger diameter and won’t work(without turning them down).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Is the 89 bushings you have my old bushings from my 89. I was also thinking about putting rear aluminium arms on my 92 SC until I found out they used different bushings, I had already purchased them.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I put about 150 miles on my car this year, and that was just driving this last weekend. It's been a summer of commitments and responsibilities. The Bird did run great. Still wont idle cold, but I should have time to spend with her shortly. I have hope for nice progress coming soon.

Drive to the beach-

https://youtu.be/Lta0ES7DAKg

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The tail ends of these cars look so good..

Attachments

·
Registered
985 Posts
That was exactly my thought as I observed the pack from the rear during the Epic Drive earlier this year!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts