TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions for a first car for my son. Any of you have any experience or has a friend who has either of these cars? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Hard decision for me personally since I look at both of them as cars for women, however if I had to choose I'd pick the Scion tC since it's a toyota product and I've yet to have any come into my shop for anything other then scheduled maintenance or light bulb changes. Hyundai's and Kia's however I've had come in for major engine problems hovering around the 80k-120k mile range.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hard decision for me personally since I look at both of them as cars for women, however if I had to choose I'd pick the Scion tC since it's a toyota product and I've yet to have any come into my shop for anything other then scheduled maintenance or light bulb changes. Hyundai's and Kia's however I've had come in for major engine problems hovering around the 80k-120k mile range.
+1 For the TC. I work at a Toyota/Hyundai/GMC dealer, and I would go with the TC. I agree with Chris, not sure if the Tiburon your looking at is a V6 or 4 cylinder but they are both T-belt driven. The TC should have the 2AZ which is chain driven and is a great motor. Ive seen a lot of 100K Hyundai's with broken timing belts, sometimes due to a seized up pulley (most of the time causes bent valves), bad headgaskets and lots of other electrical and transmission issues. About 75% of the time all the Toyotas that come in are just for general maintence, they all seem to have leaky water pumps after a while though. :rolleyes: But they are much more reliable than the older hyundai crap lol. The newer Hyundai's are pretty nice though, the Tiburon is now basically the Genesis which the R spec is pretty sweet IMO.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
If it's between the Tiburon or Scion I'd go with a Scion. But I'd get a Focus or Cobalt for a gas saving coupe.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at older ones, 5-7K range for price.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I can't believe anyone would suggest a focus, a dodge dart, or a cobalt over a toyota for a small reliable vehicle. Of the 2 you mentioned, the scion is the clear choice, but I have to ask, why would you limit your son to those 2 cars? Do you want him to never enjoy driving or the car hobby? Both of those cars, as well as pretty much everything in that category, is just miserable to drive. $5000 buys an extremely nice tbird or markViii, or a good shape edge mustang, or a crown vic, or a good shape 98-02 f-body, or if you don't want him to have a v8, 5-7k will buy a decent shape Camry or Accord a few years older, which will be more reliable, more comfortable, safer, and will hold its resale value better. The early 2000s Chevy impala is also a comfortable durable reliable cheap to maintain vehicle. $5k will also put you into a decent shape maxima, which is another long lasting reliable comfortable car. I also wouldn't hesitate to reccomend a Subaru Impreza or Legacy, though those both have timing belts instead of chains, which will add to maintenance costs. Really I have to wonder how you came to a Scion or a Tiburon, cause you could pretty much point at any random $5k car and wind up with something better than either of those.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Have to go against the Subaru impreza cousin has one and at 110k miles (just bought a year ago) and blew head gaskets. Gonna cost him a pretty penny. Maxima is good. Sporty, pretty quick and reliable. Have to go against the accord too. Mom had the 2002 acura TL (same drive terrian IIRC) and it ate through 3 transmissions from 60k miles to 210k miles. Yes 3. Good motor tho.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I can't believe anyone would suggest a focus, a dodge dart, or a cobalt over a toyota for a small reliable vehicle. Of the 2 you mentioned, the scion is the clear choice, but I have to ask, why would you limit your son to those 2 cars? Do you want him to never enjoy driving or the car hobby? Both of those cars, as well as pretty much everything in that category, is just miserable to drive. $5000 buys an extremely nice tbird or markViii, or a good shape edge mustang, or a crown vic, or a good shape 98-02 f-body, or if you don't want him to have a v8, 5-7k will buy a decent shape Camry or Accord a few years older, which will be more reliable, more comfortable, safer, and will hold its resale value better. The early 2000s Chevy impala is also a comfortable durable reliable cheap to maintain vehicle. $5k will also put you into a decent shape maxima, which is another long lasting reliable comfortable car. I also wouldn't hesitate to reccomend a Subaru Impreza or Legacy, though those both have timing belts instead of chains, which will add to maintenance costs. Really I have to wonder how you came to a Scion or a Tiburon, cause you could pretty much point at any random $5k car and wind up with something better than either of those.

I would, cause I had them, well not the dart at least... keep the USA Car press on...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

If you read the last sentence in my original post I asked for other suggestions
These were just two semi sporty looking two doors that we were researching. We also looked at BMW 3 series, Ford Focus, Fiesta, V6 Mustang.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts