TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mainly a rant!!!!

I have had my windows tinted for about 4 years (limo tint - 5%). Well, to make a long story short, I was driving down the road, and a cop pulls up next to me. I just got my system hooked up again, so I turned the volume down as soon as I saw him tailing me. About 20 seconds later, he flips his lights on and pulls me over. I was like crap. So before the cop even gets out of the car, I roll both front windows down (knowing that they are darker than crap). He walks up, asks me to roll my window half-way up, and using his little window meter tester. It read 4%!!!!! :beek: :beek: He asked if I knew that the tint was illegal, and I was being honest (thinking it would get me out of a ticket) and said "yes sir, I am not going to lie to you. I know it is illegal." He walk away, and said "I am going to give you a ticket for your windows. I couldn't see anything in your car when I was behind you." So I rolled my windows back up, and said a few choiced words!!! He came back, gave me my lisence and insurance. I asked how much the ticket would be, and he said $82, plus I have to take the tint off ($200 tint). D'OH!!!!

I just couldn't believe it has taken me 4 years to get a ticket.

Does anyone know what the law is in GA, for tint? I know it is 35% up front. But what about the back window and the quarter windows? Because I was thinking about just taking the window tint off the front windows, and leaving the back three limo. Once I remove the tint, I have to take my car to the police station, and they have to inspect the tint. If it is legal, or taken off, I just have to pay the ticket without going to court.


-Kornhaus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
Ahh, good to be in OK where they stopped enforcing that. Even the cops get dark tint on the unmarked cars.

google for tint laws. there are several sites that list them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
Medical Exemption

State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.
I know a guy whose wife has a rare form of epilepsy or something along those lines. She can't be in direct sunlight for very long or she can go into seizures so he's got all of their vehicles tinted about as dark as possible. Not sure on the percentage. Not that it's a good thing about his wife's condition but he was happy about having a paper saying he could tint his windows as dark as he wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
I know all about tint tickets. I recieved 3 from Arizona when all I was doing was driving through it! Keep in mind that no matter what state you are in, the minute you enter that state you are responsible for knowing all their laws and obeying them even if you don't plan to stay.

Consider yourself lucky that you were able to enjoy something illegal for 4 years. Wouldn't you be more pissed you a cop stopped you as you pulled out of the parking lot the day you got it installed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
504 Bird said:
I know all about tint tickets. I recieved 3 from Arizona when all I was doing was driving through it! Keep in mind that no matter what state you are in, the minute you enter that state you are responsible for knowing all their laws and obeying them even if you don't plan to stay.

Consider yourself lucky that you were able to enjoy something illegal for 4 years. Wouldn't you be more pissed you a cop stopped you as you pulled out of the parking lot the day you got it installed?
Yeah, that probably would have ruin my day!!

-Kornhaus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,253 Posts
Looks like Georgia is the same as Alabama. I have 20% on my Tbird, but it has faded so I don't think it would be a problem. My RX7 has 20% all around and it is not faded, but they don't seem to pay attention in Alabama. I put on 5% by mistake on one of my front windows in the Bird and I honestly could not see out of it at night. I am planing on redoing my back window on my Bird with fresh 20%. If I get stopped I think I will plead ignorance since I put it on in Florida and they allow 15% except the front must be 28%. Also the Alabama law was passed in 1996, so maybe I can be grandfathered in with a 1995. When I lived in North Carolina I was grandfathered in and had to sign a statement whenever I got an inspection as they would not pass you unless you had the NC stickers on it. Since they will check when you bring it in looks like you don't have a choice but to remove it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So let me ask. If I pay the ticket ($82), does that mean I do not have to take the tint off? I am bascially just taking a risk of getting pulled over again, if I leave it on. Or if I take the tint off, will I still have to pay the ticket? A friend told me that if I pay the ticket, I shouldn't have to take the tint off. And if I take the tint off, I shouldn't have to pay the ticket.

I never thought a ticket would be so confusing! : )

-Kornhaus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
That sounds about right. I had the same thing happen to me. It was on for a long long time before some cop decided to pull me over. She was like if you take it off you will not have to pay the fine. I told her that I did not want to take it off and would rather pay the fine.
 

·
leet sauce
Joined
·
1,841 Posts
Midnight said:
That sounds about right. I had the same thing happen to me. It was on for a long long time before some cop decided to pull me over. She was like if you take it off you will not have to pay the fine. I told her that I did not want to take it off and would rather pay the fine.
yeah right?!
thats weird lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My fiancee is going to call the Chief of Police, and see what the deal is. If I take off the tint, I will save $82 bucks.

-Kornhaus
 

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
Joined
·
3,067 Posts
I got a tint ticket a year or so ago. I had the option to pay the $72 fine and leave the tint if I wanted to, or remove the tint and pay 50% of the ticket.

I payed the $72 and left the tint on. It was the first time I ever had a problem with 5% tint in 5-6 years and the cops around here don't seem to car to much about tint, so I figure problems are few and far between.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
Aaron K. said:
I got a tint ticket a year or so ago. I had the option to pay the $72 fine and leave the tint if I wanted to, or remove the tint and pay 50% of the ticket.

I payed the $72 and left the tint on. It was the first time I ever had a problem with 5% tint in 5-6 years and the cops around here don't seem to car to much about tint, so I figure problems are few and far between.

thats what happens when you drive like an asshat...

BTW, friday night is gonna be in the 40s, wanna go racin?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
lucky bastards with your workin transmissions, PI motors, and ball joints that dont squeak lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
94V8Thunderbird said:
lucky bastards with your workin transmissions, PI motors, and ball joints that dont squeak lol.

ball joints are 'posed to be silent?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
yeah i think so, im also pretty sure my back wheel isnt supposed to move back and forth, oh yeah i finally got those pics from back in december loaded into the computer lol.
 

·
$.25 poster
Joined
·
1,900 Posts
I hope i can get atleast 4 years out of my window tint. I had the fronts done on my jeep about a month ago. A week later i was driving on the expressway and a state trooper pulled up along side of me so i rolled my windows down. The he slowed up, got behind me and started to tail me. He pulled me over, and gave me crap about not wearing my seatbelt, (i was wearing it though). He never said anything about rolling up the windows....he had to know, why else would i roll both of them down going 70mph on a 30 degree winter day lol.

Im still trying to figure out if he was picking on me becuase of the tint, or if it were just a coincedence. Oh well, im not complaining i still have my tint lol.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top