TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have no idea what is making the noise. I have had it for a about 2 months, have switched out spark plugs, plug wires, coil packs, pcv valve, and all vacuum lines. I want to say its a cat but the car isn't down on power, it actually drives like theres no issue, You cant hear it outside the car unless I am directly underneath it on the passenger side and even then I still cant find out what it is. Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like normal valvetrain or injector noise to me. Unless it gets really noisy I'd say ignore it. My 4.6 cars make the same noise. You can hear it on the right side of my interior sound clip video from right after I did my headswap between 3:28 and 3:35. http://forums.tccoa.com/7-engine-4-6l-5-4l/137963-thoughts-mhs-pi-h-c-stock-bottom-end-6.html Down in post 154.
Well when I first started driving the car it never made this noise. Does it just show up? This noise hasn't gone away since I first heard it.

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts
Hm, maybe some fresh oil freed up a lash adjuster or something,.. :zdunno:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm, maybe some fresh oil freed up a lash adjuster or something,.. :zdunno:
First time I watched your video I didn't hear anything, I had to put on headphones. That sounds almost exactly like what I have, passenger side and a light tapping. Can you hear yours outside the car? I cant but I hear it if Im underneath, just don't know where from. When did yours start making that noise?

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Maybe an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've had a tick like that forever. I've had my Bird since 44k miles and it has always sounded like that. Sounds like valvetrain, it doesn't bother me because I've had cars with a lot louder valvetrains than that! Now that I have SLP Loudmouths I can't hear the valvetrain lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts
First time I watched your video I didn't hear anything, I had to put on headphones. That sounds almost exactly like what I have, passenger side and a light tapping. Can you hear yours outside the car? I cant but I hear it if Im underneath, just don't know where from. When did yours start making that noise?
You can't really hear it outside the car, but if you get up near the engine you can start to hear it a bit. It's mostly masked off by the sound of the pulleys and such up front when the hood is open. It's made that noise for as long as I can remember - with the original heads and with the MHS heads (with rebuilt everything in the valvetrain).

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
My tbird makes the same noise. My thought on it is that I have a very minor exhaust leak at the manifold or one of the cats. I can smell a very small leak under the hood if I rev it up. However the modular engines are known to have some valvetrain noise. If it doesn't get and louder and stays the same between engine being cold or hot, its probably nothing to worry about.

·
Banned
575 Posts
My old 97 sounded just like that and after countless hours searching my buddy pin pointed it in the trans, he though it was flywheel vibration since it only really did it at idle and with the sound scope thingy on the front of the trans you could for shur hear it from in there.
The injectors also alot of times you can hear pulse.i had some once so loud i had to change them all.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The ticking at 0:06 and at 0:17? If so, I'm going to say that it's your blend door actuator.

Mine was completely FUBAR'ed when I took this video.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts