TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car makes a ticking noise when I am driving. It goes away for example when I am on the freeway and I want to keep the car at 65 MPH. Only when I am trying to keep the car at a constant speed does the noise go away or when I am not accelerating. It seems to come from the drivers side. What is the cause of this and how can I fix it. Checked my oil level and its good (just got done doing an oil change). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Have you check for an exhaut leak yet???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No I haven't. How would I go about doing that? I tried searching the forums for previous post about ticking but it seems as if they deleted the old posts. Thanks. By the way, it also ticks when the car is in Park while I am looking under the hood. The sound seems to come from under the valve covers when its Parked and I am assuming its also coming from the same area when I am driving.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Well I had a ticking when I did my headers.Turns out I had a stud that vibrated loose and it ticked from the head.Anything leaking from the head to manifold or manifold to down pipe will tick.Check your Bolts and make sure they are tight and sealed properly.If you have never messed with this part of the car I would doubt that would be the problem.But if you did then it would be something to look for.

Another thing may be the lifters.But I havent seen alot of those.But you never know.I am sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Mine did the same thing, turned out to be my PCV valve

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Slow tick tick tick while at idle?
Tick tick speeds up if you flip the throttle a little?
It's exhaust.

Look for black marks on the exhaust pipes indicating leakage. One good place is where the exhaust manifold ties into the downtubes.

Good luck.

And an axhaust shop will look for you too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts