TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so a while back I rebuilt the engine on the ole 3.8 SC. Everything ran fine for about two weeks after I fixed a heat issue (thermo). Now, I get this really nasty sounding ticking noise under acceleration, and changed with speed. tick ... tick ... tick ticktictitctictictictitctcitcic. Scared the hell outta me. Further more closer listening indicated front driver side, probably the 1st cyl was my problem.

At first I thought I'd broken something. So I stripped it down to remove the head cover ... nothing's broken, springs look good, rollers look good, everything looks the same the day I put it in.

So I got three problems right now, not sure which way to go from here. Do I ...

1, rip the rest of the engine top off, yank the heads and do a closer inspection

2, put everything back and see if I still have the same issue.

3, look for another source that might be causing that tick.

Additional info, the car runs a bit rough at idle and smells funnah. Like its not getting a complete burn. I checked spark on all, no problem there, but that first cylinder's plug was a little bit wet (gas though, not oil)

Any ideas?

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a light tapping with a hammer. Injectors are probably factory though

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure what you did when you rebuilt but when I put a different blower on mine, the injectors were too small and they were starving it... upgraded to 42's and the "ticking" went away... Just a suggestion...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts