TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How hard is it to change Tierods and upper ball joints on a 93 T-bird?

2. Are there any special tools needed?

3. About how much would a shop charge to do it (both sides)

4. Any tips on replacing them? Because more than likely I will do it myself.

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Do a search, I've posted the easy way to do balljoints before. The key is an 18mm ratcheting wrench.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tie rods are fairly easy. The inner ones are a little annoying when threading the new one on. The joint is tight and you ca't go straight on and it will try your patience because you are holding the boot back out of the way. You may also need a small propane tourch to heat the spindle end to get it out easier. Usually leave the castle nut at the end of the rod and whack it with a good hammer. It is very important to measure the length of the rod from the center of the outer ball to the seat of the inside joint. You will be close enough to drive it to an alignment shop afterward. As for the Upper and lower ball joints, the uppers are easy except forgetting to the bolt under the brake booster. The lower control arm requires a little more muscle but it is not impossible.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Generalee said:
Tie rods are fairly easy. The inner ones are a little annoying when threading the new one on. The joint is tight and you ca't go straight on and it will try your patience because you are holding the boot back out of the way. You may also need a small propane tourch to heat the spindle end to get it out easier. Usually leave the castle nut at the end of the rod and whack it with a good hammer. It is very important to measure the length of the rod from the center of the outer ball to the seat of the inside joint. You will be close enough to drive it to an alignment shop afterward.

You call that fairly easy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts