TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..................has anyone ever built a steel tilt front end on their MN-12? may build steel ground affects/side skirts, brake vents..........and thinking of a tilt nose.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Ok..................has anyone ever built a steel tilt front end on their MN-12? may build steel ground affects/side skirts, brake vents..........and thinking of a tilt nose.
Depends how far you're willing to go, and if you want to keep the front unibody structure ( fender rails, core support, front bumper ) ..

If you're going all out for access, then a new front clip structure will need to be fabricated, and you can do the whole front body in fiberglass if you wanted to go for weight reduction also.

Ive never seen one done on these cars before, but I have toyed with the idea.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tilt

I am thinking for cutting the back of the fenders at the trim line, build a hinged frame to mount the hood, fenders and bumper to and maybe a power accuator to raise it up............could sit on the tires to work on it.....LOL. The stock bumper mount/etc would need to be trimmed to allow a sturdy hinge.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to leave the frame, suspension, etc as it is.........would lose massive strength if it were changed.................would build another of my front strut braces to be safe.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
So where then is the benefit of the tilt front end? The unibody is more intrusive to engine access than the exterior bodywork is, if anything with it being forward hinged you'd make access even more difficult :zdunno:
For looks .. for show. But really, if you have it all on a tilt - it can be just as easily removed as a whole. Just in case you needed to remove the engine or anything else.

Front strut brace really doesnt do anything, its not necessary. Best way to reinforce the front end is to brace up the "frame" part of the unibody with the crumple zones in it up to the firewall, as far forward as possible because thats where the front suspension deflects to ( strut rod area ) and make some mounts for the upper control arm / shocks .. then you can sit on the tire to work on the engine. But of course once you re-engineer the front end, you're going to lose that crash protection, so a front end impact wont crumple the front end, it will push everything towards the driver instead.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
...Front strut brace really doesnt do anything, its not necessary...
This is not accurate; I bent a JL FSTB quite a bit on a curb hit.

If it didn't do anything, it wouldn't have bent.

Definitely not as much as it bent; it cracked going back with a press, it was bent so far. :)

I lost 3 wheels in that same deal, so it wasn't gentle. >:)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
That basically proves my point.

The last STB I installed for a customer was a flimsy piece of garbage. You could flex the bar with minimal effort. That was a SCP brace.

The JL brace I remember was a little stronger, didn't deflect nearly as easily .. I wouldn't be surprised to find a piece of conduit coming from an electrician, but it was just standard tube. Definitely not DOM tubing - this would be the ONLY reasonable brace but nobody has ever made one, anything else is just for show.

If the brace did its job, the metal around the shock towers would have deformed instead of the brace itself. If it cracked bending it back, it was flimsy wall tubing to begin with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts