TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around here and can't quite find an answer to my question...

The bearing on the alternator pully is going bad...whining, squealing, making all kinds of horrible noises...also, tonight my voltage kept dropping...it would drop rapidly, car would almost die, then it'd come back up...

So it's time to replace the alternator...stock is 130 amp, right?

What are my options as far as higher output alternators go? I don't have a big stereo or anything like that, but I might in the future...and even if I don't, I'd like to go with something better than factory.

Related story...last time this happened the bearing went out, the pully siezed up and sheared off, the alternator caught on fire, and the pully flew into the radiator, put a nice big hole in it....of course this was on my 1989 Chevy Caprice...

·
Registered
748 Posts
I know Summit has a bigger output altenator available, I think it's like 200 amp or so, it's also like $400......give or take.

·
Super Moderator
10,569 Posts
There used to be replacement parts for the stock alternator; you could get the diode pack and the bearings.

I'm not sure if you still can, tho.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Stock reman alternators for our cars are not the most reliable. Make sure you get a receipt just in case you need to return it. I always recommend Ford alternators because of their reliability.

The stock tbird alternator does not last long under high RPM's. If you plan to race it then upgrading to a 4G alternator is the best solution. You will need to purchase the mounting bracket 2R3Z-10153-AA and associated hardware to make it fit. More info here.

If you want to rebuild it then Quick Start and PA Performance has parts. You may need access to a press to replace the bearings. Check out the rebuilding video on the Quick Start site. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts